Nine News Presenters and Reporters

The Australian reports that Chris Uhlmann is likely to quit as Nine’s chief political editor, confirming to the paper that he’s not planning on extending his contract which expires at the end of this year. He says that he’s approaching retirement and “it’s time to give someone else a crack”.

Any guesses on who will replace him if he quits?

4 Likes

Jonathan Kearsley or Chris O’Keefe

3 Likes

I reckon they might poach someone big (maybe someone like Kieran Gilbert, Phillip Coorey, David Marr), or promote from their press resources (SMH or The Age). Nine would want a big name to continue heading their Federal Politics coverage up there with the likes of Oakes, Harvey and Calcutt.

who are they?

1 Like

Jonathan Kearsley is currently a political reporter for Nine in Canberra, and Chris O’Keefe is currently a political reporter for Nine in Sydney

1 Like

Oh, wouldn’t they want a big name?

I personally think they will both become big names if they’re left to develop in the role. Arguably they already are, at least within journalistic circles. Chris I’m particular seems to break most big stories and this was evident in his role as NSW pols reporter.

I’d say that the days of big name federal pols reporters staying in the role for decades like Oaks and Harvey are gone. I don’t think there is anyone at any network (except for Uhlmann and Riley on 7) who comes close to that calibre.

Perhaps Charles Croucher. He’s high profile and has political experience. He has been used on election coverage.

4 Likes

Laura Tingle, please.

4 Likes

+1

Or Sarah Ferguson.

1 Like

LOL, neither of them would leave the ABC for vacuous commercial TV news.

Someone from the paper stable makes sense, like Crowe. Kieran Gilbert would be a good get - Sky’s Canberra office is very lacklustre post Speers and the ferals after dark are even more dominant.

1 Like

Tingle has worked for Fairfax and Newscorp in the past. If a commercial operation threw enough money at her I’m sure she’d consider it.

1 Like

Years ago we would’ve said the same about Chris Uhlmann, obviously we all know how that turned out.

It would be great to have the likes of Tingle or Ferguson (or even Sabra Lane) but it would take a lot of enticing to get them onboard (still, money talks). It’s much easier to get someone from their publishing department over.

He’s really one of the last remaining good journalists there so I could see Nine trying to entice him. Regardless they’ll need a big name to head up their Canberra bureau.

It was clear Uhlmann’s was unhappy with the ABC long before he left.

I wonder is Speers would take it. Obviously dependent on the length of his ABC contract. He would be a good get for Nine.

1 Like

Announced on air yesterday

4 Likes

Sabra Lane would be a tough get, given only just moved to Hobart for the lifestyle and is presenting AM from there.

What about poaching Andrew Clennell from Sky or PVO from Ten?

Monday (07.02.2022): Tony Jones is presenting sport on afternoon news today.

2 Likes

Apart from breaking some big stories, I don’t find his demeanour to be overly appealing.

Extremely unlikely if the recent allegations of hus behaviour are proven to be true.

If Nine were to poach anyone from Sky or 10, it will probably be Kieran Gilbert or (pipe dream) get Hugh Riminton back.