Nine News Local

Thankgoodness there is now headlines. Are these on the Vic bulletin too?

Sure are

2 Likes

I realise there are financial, ownership and logistical reasons for it - but it seems ridiculous that Nine is building sets in the photocopy corner while full studios are laying empty in regional Victoria.

6 Likes

Not sure if youā€™ve come across it yet but hereā€™s the Twitter account and I presume theyā€™d have a FB too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/9NewsWesternVIC

Ah someoneā€™s confusedā€¦
Check out the comments on post to page (sorry, canā€™t embed)

4 Likes

Is anything left at Bendigo?

ā€œforced to watch Win Local Newsā€ haha

5 Likes

Sad thing isā€¦ reading that, Iā€™m pretty sure theyā€™re actually referring to the new 9 News bulletin incorrectly as ā€œWin Local Newsā€

2 Likes

lol didnt know Jo Hall replaced Bruce Roberts lol

Not sure of the internal setup these days, but SCA are currently located in the BCV building, so they would still have the studios. Itā€™s just a matter of what they are used for - itā€™s quite possible that they have been repurposed for some other purpose by now.

Canā€™t see Nine or SCA spending the cash to upgrade these facilities to 2017 standard broadcast quality production studios.

Theyā€™ve spent the money already on the ā€œstudioā€. It was just in Melbourne rather than Bendigo. It looks fairly simple a setup and the only thing ā€œ2017ā€ about it is the camera, which is likely a leftover from GTV.

Weā€™ve seen in NSW the camera is locked off for the bulletin, so it actually couldnā€™t be any lower tech. Lights and green screens havenā€™t changed much in the last 30 years - though LEDs are common and Iā€™d say Bendigo has Fresnel lens lamps at a guess.

The trouble theyā€™d have is the control room in Bendigo being analogue - and probably dating to the late 70s. You could work around this by feeding directly from the studio floor in Bendigo to Melbourne.

There is a very well produced story on You Tube showing the impressive set up Southern Cross had in Bendigo in 1994. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOrLJ2hktqU

5 Likes

I think there may be some studio space left at the SCA Bendigo building but it would probably be only for commercial production.

Off topic slightly, but the SCA complex in Coffs Harbour (NRN) still has a large studio, but is only used for commercial production and for large scale radio promotional events (i.e. Facebook videos). The control rooms are long gone so they cannot go live from there anymore, unless they had an OB truck outside. The smaller news studio is now just a videotape storage room.

Here.
I reckon that comment is from @TheHubMan :grinning:

7 Likes

That was always going to be a problem.
I recon what they shouldā€™ve done is kept the metro bulletins but use the metros for local news inserts.

3 Likes

Iā€™m expecting a similar reaction in Queensland when regional viewers can no longer watch a news service that has been available to them almost since these start of television in some areas.

1 Like

Not that Nine/SCA would dream of doing it after investing so much into regional bulletins, but I canā€™t help but wonder if a relay of the metro bulletin on GEM would outrate the regional bulletins they produceā€¦

5 Likes

They should do that. People donā€™t like sudden changes and the comments on FB for Western Victoria shows that.

2 Likes

What, all two of them?

The new bulletins have enough of an uphill battle against Prime and WIN without SC/Nine eroding their audience further by running their own two services against one another, which would also be devaluing their investment in regional news.

Hardly sudden change either. They didnā€™t promote it terribly well but people knew this was coming.

10 Likes

Caught. Give it some love hey.

5 Likes