Nine News Local

Ayr, near Townsville, experienced a blackout of its television services today.

/2016

13 Likes

Looks like news to me! Nice one!

Wasn’t criticising your proposed format mate, just being realistic with the format NBN has developed. Three local windows for maximum efficiency.

Strictly speaking, if a story is worthy of being the top story, it should be big enough to play on all bulletins. You’ll still kick in to the local car crashes and church fete before the break.

How is Vanessa going presenter wise?

She is average from what I’ve seen. Certainly much more comfortable with presenting weather than news. Out of the three regional presenters, she is probably the worst behind Jo Hall and Samantha Heathwood.

4 Likes

But it’s better to wait for Jo and Sam to appear in their respective states before we judge these three.

3 Likes

Despite Jo Hall being the most experienced newsreader compared to Vanessa & Sam,it’s been a while since she has read on a regular basis.

Honestly im not looking forward to the central west news if its only 8 minutes. I can watch 30 mins of local Prime7 and WIN news.
I can see 9news Sydney returning within 6 months.

4 Likes

While I hope that happens, Nine are too arrogant to give up. Nine Local News will be here for years.

2 Likes

is it really 30 minutes? Take out the ads, that’s at least… what… 6 or 7 minutes. And take out the filler stories filed from other regions. You probably don’t have much more than 8 minutes right there.

5 Likes

I wish Ten were like this with all their news revolutions :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Filler stories? I don’t get stories from Canberra or Wollongong they are still local. The weather reports are at least 3 , 4 mins. including dams capacity. I am sure its more than 8 minutes of local news.

1 Like

I hope Nine News regional VIC will be somewhat of a success.

Considering Jo Hall was a veteran presenter at Nine News Melbourne.

3 Likes

I agree that the news director or EP need to live outside of Sydney, if not visiting the regions on a regular basis.

Once the bulletins are fully established (maybe in 6-12 months time), I’d also recommend getting the presenters to do something like a week of outside broadcasts or at least special reports across the regions. Mind you, that’s also a good suggestion for Nine News Sydney since ratings during the 6pm-7pm hour have been tightening here lately.

2 Likes

Good to see a local story about Canberra’s weather leading the bulletin tonight.

Also a live cross interview with the ACT Fire chief officer Joe Murphy.

6 Likes

WIN’s typical format is to have 3 reporters submit 2 stories per day, with an average length of 1:45, including the introduction by the presenter. This includes local sport stories. Sometimes those reports will be of more general interest to the whole state. Weather is in addition to this. Any other content is just filler from other bulletins.

Prime is similar, but they are less rigid on their report times, and will often have lots of short stories read only by the presenter- with either file footage of new locally sourced footage.

Nine are also putting 3 reporters into each area, so the quantity of local content will be pretty similar. The main differences will come down to story selection and quality of reporting.

1 Like

Would be nice, but would also be a logistical nightmare when trying to do pre-recorded local windows.

4 Likes

NBNs format is somewhat similar, except that some markets only have 2 journalists, and will only file 3 reports between them… There is also vision for another 1 or 2 voiceover items. This includes sport.

Weekends are NBNs saving grace, with 1 reporter filing 2 reports in most regions on each night.

1 Like

Not sure you get 30 minutes of news on Prime 7…

Looking at Prime 7’s Central West bulletin from 10 Feb 2017, which is 22 minutes without the ads, there is 15mins 30 seconds of news content before Sport. If you take out the intro, cross to the national headlines and website promo, you’re left with 14 minutes of content. If you take out the early weather cross (45 seconds) you’re down to 13 minutes and 15 seconds of news items.

I believe the local windows for Nine News will be closer to 12 minutes - so it’s comparable. I am a big fan of Prime 7 News though - looks 100 times better on screen than WIN.

So far it appears Nine has underinvested in the news service and it’s showing on screen and in the viewing figures. The bulletin needs a lot more polish before viewers will warm to it. Certainly the markets where Prime 7 produces bulletins will be tough to crack.

6 Likes

Photo taken by Todd Milton of the Nine News AOA (All Over Advertising) bus - non faked version seen in Canberra showing some not so local presenters.

4 Likes