Nine News Local

I get the feeling she is positioned there so that they can eventually place OTS graphics in the background to the right.
At least that’s what I’m hoping.

3 Likes

So Nine didn’t do OTS at all?? That is surprising. Even SC’s 2-minute updates had basic OTS graphics. The constant image of Parliament House would be a bit boring if that was on the whole bulletin.

And, yeah, change the chair. Feels like I’m in a meeting with the boss :slight_smile:

I guess it’s only day one… give it time to find its feet although from the little I’ve seen it seems a very positive start.

1 Like

Get it off!! :joy::joy:

Whoops…

3 Likes

Montage is finally available

22 Likes

Canberra still has a better background than Nine News Perth.

Sport does look odd with 2 globes, didn’t know there is 2 Earth’s with rings :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Maybe it would be better to use the newsroom backdrop for Sport, same as what Perth did until 2 weeks ago.

2 Likes

I’m just gonna go to Canberra for the night, boys!

2 Likes

Having just watched the first few minutes, I like the story selection, seems to be a nice mix of local, and national together.

The live cross was not good, the reporter spoke too quickly and fumbled through a few words.

Vanessa is nice and clear and presents well.

The opener was extremely weird. No headlines, and then Vanessa just jumped straight into a story. I was expecting at least a “welcome to 9 News. First tonight…”

Nice hearing the “this is 9 news Canberra with Vanessa O’Hanlon” voiceover though.

EDIT:
Upon now finishing watching the video, the sports presenter seemed to present really well, first i’ve seen of him but he seemed really good.

That background desperately needs some OTS for stories, the background actually seems worse than what WIN produce in its current state. At least WIN have OTS and show a little bit of their studio.

Cross to weather from Vanessa was extremely disjointed and awkward. Weather was very clearly blurry looking compared to the rest due to being in SD from NBN.

Closer music reminded me of listening to a song with bass building and never dropping.

Overall, not bad, but very sub-par for something I would expect from Nine. Opener needs headlines, background needs to be able to change for each story, set needs to be shown off more, introduction needs to be refined, cross to ad break after sport should feature both Vanessa and Mike.

I was expecting this bulletin to be similar to a 9 News metro bulletin, but alas it was much more similar to an episode of WIN News than 9’s Metro efforts.

4 Likes

They had generic end-board ACA promos in the ad breaks

4 Likes

Feels very second rate compared with the metro bulletin.

Would it really have been so hard for Nine to produce just a normal, metro-style bulletin for regional viewers? I can forgive not building a big, expensive set (what they are using is actually pretty good) but IMO everything else should just feel like a normal Nine News 6pm bulletin. Opener, backdrop, graphics, music etc. There’s no need to deliberately cheapen everything to make it feel “local”.

5 Likes

Vanessa was clearly caught off guard here after the weather report.
Uploading…

1 Like

Vanessa and Mike swapped chairs after the ‘sport after the break’ segment :smile:

1 Like

Darwin has been producing local news for what - 15-20 years. 7 QLD for what - 15-25 years? It’s night one - the people producing this news and the team are all new hires. I agree it was a bit rough - but you can’t compare night one from a brand new team to a bulletin that has been on the air decades.

1 Like

No doubt they are already making a profit out of this from day 1. We will never know the details - but Nine got an extra 15% of ad revenue from SCA over win. Over markets spanning 6 million people - and over a year - that is at least an extra $100m or so in ad revenue a year based on the size of the QLD NNSW SNSW and VIC markets. Even if this news operation of 110 new staff iOS costing them $25m a year - they are coming out WAY ahead and making massive profits form this news day 1.

If it does well in the ratings, they stand to do even better.

1 Like

A lot needs to be fined tuned for the Canberra bulletin. While it seems superior to Win News, it is probably understandable if Canberra viewers feel that they have been ripped off not receiving the quality of Nine News Sydney.

• Why is there a Nine News transition straight after the tilecard?
  • Both headlines and OTS graphics would preferable however we have to remember Nine News rarely uses these features. Early, Morning, Afternoon and 5pm News all don’t have headlines at the beginning of the bulletin.
  • Smooth transitions between live and pre-recorded would make the bulletin flow much better. Perhaps they could have local versions of coming up and Nine News transitions like Seven local Afternoon News had at one stage.
  • Content seemed fine with a good mix of local and national news.
  • Vanessa needs to return after sport to throw to the weather but perhaps it is a problem because there is only one camera in studio 24.
  • Nine should send a template of the weather graphics to NBN as it is easy to tell.
  • Green screen graphics need to be less globes and more local city.
  • Gavin should try to banter with Vanessa
  • Mike was my favourite presenter there, but overall the bulletin was not that bad.
4 Likes

@SydneyCityTV @EuroKick

But that’s a Sydney icon. If someone outside of Canberra thinks of Canberra they think of Parliament House. But here, no one cares. It’s a national symbol, not a local Canberra one. It’s almost like a live cross on a national bulletin.
Even though most of the population actually lives in the suburbs, that globally iconic Harbour imagery is generally accepted as being something that all Sydneysiders identify with.

I agree. Parliament House represents federal parliament - the centre of Govt for the whole nation. That does not represent local news which covers ALL issues for Canberra. It’s a very Sydney take on what “local” means in Canberra. Most Sydney live shots have skyline shots - which include the Bridge and Opera House. But the Bridge is something Sydneysiders use every day - locals - and the Opera House too. It’s local. Parliament House is a national; take on Fed Politics.

If I can ask a serious question: What do Canberra residents generally think that the most iconic imagery of their city is?

I’d say - city skyline shot - like ABC News Canberra uses.

Go 1 minute 40 in here:

ABC News Canberra

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone has “deliberately” made it look “cheap” - the budget for this newscast - being a smaller market - and not a Nine owned market - would be quite a bit less I’d imagine. Not to mention the 30 or so people putting this together in Sydney have been working as a team for probably a month. TCN or QTQ news has been on the air 5-6 decades.

3 Likes

Thanks to @Abesty for that video montage!

No headlines is the most vexing part for me, also the lack of OTS graphics is very curious.

But as @KICK-IT says, this is Day 1, so hopefully Nine will be adding these things in before long, and making other adjustments such as fixing the oversized chair.

But good to see that Nine has localised openers and backgrounds, for instance, NBN has never had this in 25 years, except for a unique opener for the Gold Coast about 12 years ago.

Will be interesting to see how the localised openers transition to the “live” bulletins when more are added from next week.

3 Likes

My thoughts:

• The weirdest thing to me seems dot be that there was no (from what was uploaded) mention or story of this being the first 9 News Canberra. I would have thought - in the first 10 minutes - there would have been a filed report about the fact that local news has returned to CTC - Canberra’s first TV station - after an absence of 20 years. Toot their horn a bit - the network known for News is now in Canberra - and it intents to make a splash. Introduce the reporting team, showcase the city a bit - and state their goal; and commitment to the nations capital. But nothing! And you thing Vanessa would have opened with something like “Hi! And Welcome to the first ever bulletins of 9 News Canberra. A brand new newscast for canberra - with a mix of all local, state and national news. Thanks so much for going us - and we are thrilled you are here - and hope you join us every night at six. Now to today’s top story…”

• Venessa is a bit rusty - and yes the chair is odd! Appreciate the live cross - hopefully they will have a few a night. And reporters and Venessa will get better. Mike and Gavin were very polished. DO we think they have a live van for the cross - probably just use the internet to go live nowadays.

• How fantastic that it’s in HD! NBN needs to go HD so they can send the weather down in HD.

• The backdrop is really wrong. It needs to be Canberra skyline - not P. House - a live shot from a Camera on Mt Ainslie or a city building overlooking the CBD, just like Darwin. The white swirls and globes and Venessa off to the left all look wrong.

• I guess this is being done on the same set as 9 News now?

• As for the lack of headlines - really odd. Maybe it was an EP call to have a cold open and just get into it own night one, but my guess is it is something to do with the fact that this newscast will go out to 4 regions - and perhaps this way - and with that second weird GFX transition - the one live bulletin can actually be live from the very first second - and a localised “This is 9 News - Central West” GFX open plays out live to each region. That’s my guess, that a server plays out 4 opens exact same length and then the GFX swipe to Venessa. Having the headlines would be so much better - but perhaps it’s technically difficult as each one would be a different length - to the roll love into Vanessa. How does NBN do it - market wide headlines, or 6 local versions?

• That is also my guess as to the set set up. It’s the same set as “9 News Now” with green scree. That GFX transition allows Nine to have a lcoalisxed backdrop for each of the 4 regions from the very first second of the bulletin. So Canberra will see Canberra, Illawarra seems a Gong shot - and Central West sees a Orange shot - etc. By having a locked off camera - with green - and no fade in or Camera move, and that transition swipe - Nine are able to do this. Quite genius. But hopefully they can work out how to do headlines.

• The backdrop just needs to be a centred shot of Canberra and move Vanessa to middle of shot. I think if they plan to key 4 different backdrops live - then OTS might also be technically difficult.

• Facebook. They need to be going live on FB with this (they did it with Gold Coast news for a few weeks when 7 started) and they need to be posting all the local stories and weather and a few national ones.

2 Likes

Yes, would love to NBN News in HD, they are moving to a new location in April, hopefully it will happen then…

As for NBN"s openers and headlines, it is all generic unfortunately.

The only times local news appears on NBN outside of the 6pm bulletin is a 1pm update and headlines at around 5:40pm during “Hot Seat”. The 7:30pm and onward evening updates are also all generic.