Nine News Local

Caps

19 Likes

But that’s a Sydney icon. If someone outside of Canberra thinks of Canberra they think of Parliament House. But here, no one cares. It’s a national symbol, not a local Canberra one. It’s almost like a live cross on a national bulletin.

13 Likes

Another News update

8 Likes

They should incorporate the LAKE! Could have a really nice backdrop. People actually use that space.

3 Likes

Nine are neither the first or only ones who do images of Parliament House as part of the “local” branding on their Canberra news bulletin. WIN have been doing it for years and I’m sure I’ve also seen clips online of the old Ten Capital incorporating Parliament House imagery into their news branding back in the old days.

Even though most of the population actually lives in the suburbs, that globally iconic Harbour imagery is generally accepted as being something that all Sydneysiders identify with.

If I can ask a serious question: What do Canberra residents generally think that the most iconic imagery of their city is?

2 Likes

Given that the image behind Vanessa is a green screen (on a TV), they’ve done a pretty good job with it, as it’s hard to tell.

Definitely missing OTS graphics. Even WIN can manage to do some OTS.
I’d like them to showcase a little more of the set, even if it is small, it needs to be shown more I think.

Despite the disinterest from many here, I really liked how Parliament House was incorporated into the opener, and hope we actually see some headlines included tomorrow as not having them is just completely bizarre.

Weather looks good, an interesting mix of the Nine and NBN weather graphics.

3 Likes

Interesting how in the live cross, the text “Queanbeyan” is aligned to the right rather than to the left of the cross (like on metro bulletins)

My thoughts:

• Lack of headlines up front was a bit odd
  • Lack of a physical set is understandable but disappointing. Get rid of the swirls and go with a full screen city backdrop, with OTS graphics. It does look and sound a hell of a lot better than WIN News
    though.
  • the wide shot with Vanessa and Mike including the desk was much better.
  • Fix that chair
  • story order was a bit all over the place
  • “we now cross live to Harry Frost in Canberra…” split screen clearly states that Harry is in Queanbeyan. And was it live? It ended very suddenly.
  • Nice to have a report “filed a short time ago” by Laurie Oakes, but the transition was again jarring.
  • A report on Sydney’s hot weather made the cut, but nothing on Canberra’s despite similar conditions here. I prefer a composite bulletin to local news padded out with niche stories but they need to take care not to run too many localised Sydney stories
  • No throw back from Mike to Vanessa at the end of sport? Mike mentioned weather up next.
  • weather gfx seemed a bit faded. Top temp for today was incorrect. Temp for tomorrow doesn’t match the BOM, neither does the seven day outlook. Maybe the weather was prerecorded earlier in the arvo? The temps did seem to match what was predicted prior to the last afternoon update from the BOM.
  • what’s that, we’re finishing? Oops, better play that same five seconds of the theme over and over.

Overall - it’s quite good in comparison to the faff we’ve been putting up with for the last 16 years.

21 Likes

I found this image in 2 seconds. It’s better.

6 Likes

Some options off the top of my head:

• Sunset from the arboretum looking down towards the city or Telstra tower
  • hot air balloons over the lake, though perhaps only during the relevant time of year (not skywhale)
  • shot from regatta point over towards the jet, commonwealth ave bridge and the national museum
  • view towards parliament down ANZAC Pde from the top of Mount Ainslie
  • Telstra tower
  • Floriade in Sept/Oct
  • Loose Moose Fridays
  • Something around NewActon (Nishi) or Kingston Foreshore
9 Likes

Yeah, I’ve just had a look and i’d say the weather was prerecorded a little too early in the afternoon.

Having a look at the obs, recorded max of 32 listed for Canberra for today, was correct at 3pm, but went up further to 34 at 3:30pm. So the graphics must have been put together around 3pm-ish.

Similarly, the forecast was updated by the BOM at 4:23pm this afternoon, but the weather forecast listed on 9 News Canberra was the forecast BOM issued at 4:45am this morning, which was clearly changed quite significantly when updated this afternoon.

I can understand the need to pre-record the weather early, but doing it before the 4:20pm afternoon update is too early and has resulted in all of the weather info in the weather update being wrong and old hours before it went to air.

7 Likes

Updates

15 Likes

That chair needs to go… it’s so bulky… looks like this…

8 Likes

This one could depend on if they’re using the official BoM maximum figures for the day which are taken from 9am-3pm. Here Southern Cross News will often report Devonport’s temperature as 22 degrees for the day as that was the official BoM maximum prior to 3pm but then a couple of minutes later will report the current temperature as say 26 degrees for Devonport because we often have a late afternoon peak aorund 5-6pm where it goes up an extra 5 degrees. The next BoM bulletin will include the 26 degrees as the official max however.

Hope that makes sense. In the capitals, it’s easier to keep track of quirks like this and if there’s a late maximum but with these regional bulletins once they’re all out there, it might be difficult to keep track of.

No excuse for this one, if that’s the regular time the forecasts are issued they need to be using those ones as things sometimes change significantly over a 12 hour period.

2 Likes

8:20 update looks like it was filmed somewhere else - different chair and lighting.

2 Likes

I completely understand what you mean, but a quick look here:
http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/observations/nswall.shtml

And they’d be able to find the accurate maximum for the day at any time of the day for any weather station, instead of using the 3pm update information, which is relatively useless for accurate max temps in most places in Summer.

Yeah I agree, definitely no excuse. The forecasts are always issued around the 4:15-4:30pm time every day, so they shouldn’t be making the graphics until after these updates have been made.
Every other prerecorded regional weather update that I’ve seen from 7, WIN, etc. have no problem with these forecast issue times and giving out the correct info, so I’m sure it can be achieved.

1 Like

A sneak peak at what they’ve ordered for this December…

20 Likes

Did Vanessa really just use the word ‘gotten’ in that last update??

1 Like

I know it looks sloppy, but I’m currently working without photoshop and other programs because I got a new mac. Though it’s the concept that matters the most, that’s how I would of done the backdrop. I couldn’t find an appealing picture of Canberra so I thought this would do.

13 Likes

Looks much better! I think it just looks odd the way she is positioned at the moment.

3 Likes