Nine News Local

No idea indeed. Anyone know if Samantha Heathwood is good or not?

erm. I intimated above that you had no idea about Sam Heathwood.

She is excellent.

Would love to see some of you try and do what these people do.

5 Likes

She was on par with the other 9 News Brisbane presenters when she did weekend 6pm bulletins over the summer break. No problems at all.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. Regional Queenslanders are in safe hands news presenter-wise.

1 Like

If they are presenting on front of a green screen, why can’t they do what they did with the weather presenter and present the bulletin in the same bulletin with a green-screen TV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBAzjNKZq4 Came across this video on youtube, Samantha seems like a good presenter and with her years at Win News she has a bit of credibility in regional QLD

1 Like

Possibly because unlike the news/sports presenters, the weather presenter is based in Newcastle…

Anyway, hopefully @abesty or one of our other Canberra correspondents was recording. I’d be rather interested to see some caps and/or a video montage, if it’s not too much trouble of course. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Comments on Facebook not too good so far.

3 Likes

Obviously not many people are not familiar with Vanessa, yet.

4 Likes

I agree with almost all of that (I don’t care too much about the chair or position).
The presentation was definitely rough around the edges:
The lack of a summary up front was jarring, the cuts from pre-recorded bits & live weren’t smooth (I assume Nine are testing it out for when they’ll need those for the Illawarra & other editions), (as already mentioned) there was no story-specific backdrops, nor proper ‘coming up after the break’ graphics (and the repeating theme part just went on instead of what I’d expect to hear, comparing to Nine’s other bulletins).
The weather graphics looked out of focus/blurry; it seemed like the weather fed from NBN9 (Newcastle) was SD???
I felt sorry for the reporter who got nervous doing the 1st live bit, hopefully his (& colleagues) confidence will grow because the actual report seemed fine, but the live cross didn’t seem to add anything. Good on Nine for having a live cross but maybe they should’ve done it with one of the other stories?
I found it surprising 9News didn’t bother to get video of either the Belconnen fire/damage, nor some vision of Rose Cottage for the Bikie story, and it was disappointing that Nine filled in with Sydney hot weather story rather than a local version; that combined with a mention of “the state” (even though itself not a problem) really reminded me that the bulletin is made in Sydney (compared to ABC News more polished locally made composite bulletin).
I expected some issues but it looks like 9News have quite a bit of work to do (surely they’d been preparing the last how long?). Hopefully it improves in leaps & bounds over the next little while.

So why assume her to be in the “no good” category if you know nothing about her?

Perhaps wait and see before making an opinion.

5 Likes

I’m not saying she’s a bad presenter from the get go, but before I knew about Samantha and her presenting, I only said Jo Hall is the only one who is ‘guaranteed’ to do a good job, until now…

1 Like

Just saw a promo for Central West 9 News

2 Likes

Says it all really.

@Awabakal l’ve only ever seen Samantha reading news when she was the Early News newsreader for a while a few years back and she was very impressive.

absolutely. She’s a rising star. Read in Stellar magazine yesterday that they were even considering her for the plum 6pm role in Brisbane in previous years.

2 Likes

Saw a video of Samantha presenting just then. I daresay they should put her on weekends in Brisbane because their current weekend presenters are…BAD.

3 Likes

Definitely clunky tonight, enough to be disappointing & surprising.
9News know how to do better than this; the presentation of all the other bulletins out of TCN9 (even ignoring each evening’s 9News Sydney) is - generally - vastly superior.
It’ll be interesting to see how the rest of the week goes, given some of the recent issues with other bulletins (graphics, automation), hopefully some of the faults with tonight’s 1st 9News Canberra bulletin were similar in nature and will be quickly resolved.

2 Likes

Samantha Heathwood has been around for years. She is a great reader and very easy on the eye. Best choice for the gig to be honest.

3 Likes

Got some caps on my phone, sorry for the quality.

20 Likes