Nine News Local

Prime7 did for a while in country NSW. Not sure of current figures, but they were No. 1 in 2020.

Not to mention that there’d probably be people who’d ask “Why do we only see Peter Overton on Sundays?” which I’d imagine was one of several reasons why Nine decided to axe the composite bulletins in March last year in favour of the half hour at 5.30pm followed by a return to metro one at 6pm all week long.

Sure the pandemic probably fast-tracked the decision to make major format changes but at the same time, I wouldn’t mind predicting there was stuff the planning for a little while before then.

Perhaps if/when Nine decide that 5pm news is a good idea for the East Coast capitals, we’d see the presentation of Nine News Local + Nine News Darwin shifted to the Top End and maybe the presentation of Nine News Southern NSW/ACT shifted to Newcastle.

But unless/until such a scenario takes place, I’m sure the status quo would remain.

QTQ will most likely expand its resources to cater to all the bulletins but they would definitely want Darwin out of the building if 5:00pm news did occur in that area.

Moving the presentation of Nine News Local will need to be a mutual agreement with SCA as-well so unlikely they will move it out of the state to cater for additional Nine programming.

Hahaha. Prime got their arses handed to them on a plate in northern NSW which is why they had to use “combined share” to make themselves look competitive.

2 Likes

Did NBN News still perform reasonably strong in the North Coast & North West markets where they compete against Prime7 Local News? IIRC NBN were ahead on the Coast and at least competitive in the North West during 2019, but 2020?

Of course, it probably goes without saying that NBN/Nine absolutely smashed it in Newcastle!

1 Like

Weekday only localised news has been a reality in regional TV (and on all of Network Ten) for 25 years. Viewers are pretty clued up when they are watching a Sydney bulletin on the weekend, mainly because there’s usually a bloody great opera house in the background. I doubt Nine would make sweeping newsroom closures because Betty in Lyneham can’t work out why the ‘lovely Peter Overton’ isn’t on every night.

As for 9 Local, a mate of mine in Canberra said to me last week, ‘We don’t get Canberra news on WIN anymore - it’s all from Dubbo and Bathurst’. Now, obviously he still associates WIN with 9, but the fact that the out-of-region stories stick out like a sore thumb is what viewers seem to notice.

3 Likes

NINE NEWS LOCAL QLD - 26/01/2021

@NQCQTV2 - A few improvements from when I last watched the QLD edition. The stories are much more statewide rather than being region-specific. The Australia Day reports covered everyone quite well. Most other stories were a similar scenario except some of the sport and a few news stories where you can’t avoid it.

A lot of the irrelevant community fluff stories seems to not being shown like it used to be.

However, the weather report is still really bad - if not worse. He just goes on about shit without actually discussing any temps or anything in-depth for the regions.

“Some rainfall up here… some cloud down there…”

He would be better off doing a quick overall analysis followed by about 6-7 slides with tomorrow temps, rainfall, and conditions for all the main towns.

2 Likes

Why would they ask that? They know the answer, because he wasn’t their news presenter.

The NSW bulletin recorded one of its highest ever ratings last night, more than doubling it’s competition on 7 and 10 in some regions.

4 Likes

I would much prefer to watch Peter Overton then watch the bad presentation of Nine News Local. The presentation issues can easily be fixed I don’t understand why they don’t want to fix them. Can you provide which regions had the high ratings?

1 Like
8 Likes

Pass on my (may I presume our?) compliments to Jack, @Leo_Puglisi6. Looks like he’s nailed down plenty during his apprenticeship(s) to make it appear like it was easygoing for his first report.

6 Likes

He’s pretty good. Natassia needs to pick up the pace though.

2 Likes

Well done to him. Obviously they’ve seen enough to give him a go and he’s doing well for himself. You’d want to see more young people be proactive rather than become welfare whales.

7 Likes

Over 10 years ago when I was seeking work experience in media I called the local commercial radio station 2PK to see if it was possible to have work experience with them and they said no we are too busy.
This was fine I understood but then 6 months later they were advertisimg the fact on air that they had someone on work experience. I thought why did that person get the opportunity to have work experience at the station when they rejected me. Sure I didn’t specifically know anyone at the station but I should not have to get the opportunity for work experience. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I never pursued a career in the media other than voluntary roles.
Media company’s have a responsibility to contribute to the training of new upcoming talent. They should have procedures in place so people can apply for work experience even at small regional stations. Sure they can only take a specific number of students but to say no to one person and accept another who probably knew someone at the station is not right.
So people studying journalism may well be seeking experience like Jack has but get the door slammed in their face when they try.

4 Likes

… it’s called “the luck of the draw” …

4 Likes

It shouldn’t happen at all full stop.

2 Likes

Many businesses simply don’t have the resources to offer a work experience program. Perhaps something changed in that 12 months or like many references to “the work experience kid” it’s really a light hearted jab at one of their colleagues.

2 Likes

… and people “studying journalism” shouldn’t expect to be given preferential treatment … full stop …

1 Like

My point is there should be a transparent process In place so students can apply and be successful in obtaining work experience at media outlets as it is vital for the student’s success in the industry. Rejecting someone without due process should not happen. That includes what happened to me.

If the station can only take 5 people and I was the 6th person to apply fair enough. But from my understanding 2PK just didn’t offer it to anyone. Then to publicly say on air that they have someone on work experience a few months later has nothing to do with bad luck it is apauling behaviour on the part of 2PK management.

2 Likes