Nine News Local

I think that Radio Promo needs to be Fact Checked! :wink:

5 Likes

The problem with the format used is while that’s great for Darwin, the other 7 larger markets in QLD are left wondering what the hell Nicole is doing presenting our local weather from 2500km away.

It is interesting though that you show that live cross, clearly they’ve used the time difference to their advantage there, and actually presented weather live to Darwin viewers while the QLD markets got the usual prerecorded weather, as i don’t recall that live cross ever being shown on the NQ bulletin.

3 Likes

I think one of the biggest problems is having the Darwin market lumped in with 7 other QLD markets, all receiving the same bulletin.

I think what Nine needs is to split the QLD bulletin into two versions.
Similar to how NSW has a composite NNSW bulletin (via NBN) and a composite SNSW bulletin and they are two distinct products.

I think QLD should have been split into two bulletins, one for NQLD covering Cairns, Townsville, Mackay and Rockhampton and a seperate bulletin covering Wide Bay, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba.

In its current format there’s just too much stuff from places that are too far away for locals to care about. Which I think is a big reason people don’t feel that the bulletins provide enough local content.
For example, Friday, opening on a car accident that happened south of Bundaberg. Clearly a major story for that area; and neighbouring markets, worthy of the opening story. But for people in North QLD there is no interest in this story, yet it’s opening the bulletin, while we’re missing out on details of a bushfire emergency.

Similarly a few weeks ago, there was a major car accident south of Townsville which opened the bulletin, very relevant to my area, but people watching in Toowoomba or the Sunshine Coast didn’t need to know about it.

Ideally, I believe the bulletin should be split into a NQLD version and a seperate SQLD version. And Darwin should have been left alone

7 Likes

The one for Border North East is exactly the same also biasedly it plays on the Triple M & Hit Networks…

Ideally, there should have been TWO approved markets under the farce called aggregation.

Northern Queensland, which has TNQ/FNQ, MVQ (de-merged from SEQ) and RTQ (demerged from DDQ).
Southern Queensland, which has SEQ (demerged from MVQ), DDQ (demerged from RTQ) and a new station OR RTN demerged from NRN.

OR

Northern Queensland, with TNQ, FNQ split up to form two separate stations (like TNT and TVT had to), and MVQ (demerged from SEQ).
Southern Queensland, with SEQ (demerged from MVQ), DDQ and RTQ split up as oer TNQ/FNQ above.

That would’ve made local news a lot easier, and your scenario would’ve occurred.

2 Likes

Maybe you’re already aware, but the original equalisation plan called for 2 Queensland approved markets, but some, mainly TNQ/FNQ, argued that it wouldn’t be viable.

No one watches Nine news in the Border North East area from the west of Benalla and 90% of the local stories are of Albury/Wodonga which is 2 and half hours away from the end (Nearly 2 hours to Shepparton)

It is like having the Channel nine Sydney news broadcast into Newcastle and saying it is your local news.

3 Likes

They do have that in Newcastle.

Just replace “Channel Nine” with “Seven” and “Prime7” or “Ten” and “WIN”.

Wouldn’t put it past Nine to actually do that if it weren’t for the nice little monopoly they have. Again, I’d have money on news production being moved to Sydney.

1 Like

Quite a funny moment on the NQ bulletin tonight.

One of the local reporters was doing a story on a magpie and got swooped during the report.

The report that aired on TV showed him getting swooped and running away right as he closed the story.

We returned back to Paul at the desk and all you could hear was Sam laughing loudly in the background while he tried to move on to the next segment.

2 Likes

Sounds reminiscent of the Paul & Sam moments we all knew and loved on WIN News about a decade ago! :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, they often have moments like that, particularly at the end of the bulletin.
Tonight the last story was an 84 year old man in Ireland that fought off burglars.
As the bulletin was closing Paul commented on the old guys moves, and Sam said something like “it looks just like you” and they both chuckled and Paul was saying “well i’m not an 84 year old man, …”
and the bulletin ended while they were laughing and engrossed in their own conversation.

They’re certainly a fantastic duo to be presenting together

5 Likes

It is good because they seem to accommodate the end story to ensure that there will be banter between the two. The reports are not the usual kickers (animals) but a story that only a strong duo could banter over.

3 Likes

In a couple of years you would have to assume so. The disposal of the NBN studios and the building of the new Nine studios in Sydney is the opportunity to do it.

1 Like

But aren’t they moving to new premises in the Newcastle CBD that will include a studio space in the coming years?

That’s what NBN said, but things can change and I’m thinking they probably will.

1 Like

Personally I think a future site for NBN should not only include enough space to continue local production/presentation of the existing Newcastle-based bulletins, but also include space to accommodate the Southern NSW/ACT editions of Nine News so they can be produced from a more regional perspective rather an often Sydney-centric perspective as the case seems to be right now.

But realistically…

Agreed. I doubt anyone would’ve imagined in 2015 that we’d see Nine News Darwin “streamlined” into a Brisbane-based news service also produced for Regional QLD.

Unfortunately, the fact that NBN News is a top rater in Northern NSW or that Jane Goldsmith’s Sunday night bulletin is often their highest rating bulletin of the week probably won’t matter much to the financial number crunchers if they think it’d be more cost effective (especially in the long run) to present/produce Northern NSW bulletins from Sydney + only a small office in Newcastle for reporters and other staff that need to be based locally, as the case already is in other regions of NBN-land.

4 Likes

I remember a while ago it was mentioned that the NSW bulletin has 2 local windows in it.

Out of interest, what is the bulletin rundown like in SNSW? Whereabouts are the local windows located in the bulletin?

The typical rundown of the QLD bulletin is:
6:00 Opening Story (Statewide)
6:03 Local Window
6:08 Statewide (Typically 1 to 3 live crosses)
6:18 Weather Preview (Statewide)
6:19 Ad Break
Statewide through to 6:45
6:45 Local Sport
6:48 Ad Break
6:52 Local Weather
6:55 Finance/Close (Statewide)

1 Like

I didn’t really watch the SNSW/ACT (via Illawarra) bulletin for a while, but whilst glancing through last week, I’ve noticed that the local news window now seems to start earlier than what it was before, which was around 6:10-6:15pm, as the local window was finished at around 6:10pm one night when I noticed.

In regards to whether the SNSW/ACT bulletin still has 2 local windows, it seems to have been reduced back to just 1 local window again.

Perhaps @Zampakid or @Abesty can confirm on what I’ve said in regards to the first sentence.

It seems Nicole forgot she’s no longer on 9 News Gold Coast.
During the NQ weather tonight she said “across the Gold Coast” while we were seeing tomorrow’s forecast for the local region.

3 Likes

Oh my that’s pretty bad.

Understandable if Nicole had only been presenting Regional QLD/NT weather for a week or so, but hasn’t it been over a year now? :confused:

1 Like