Nine News Local

yeap, they get a raw deal. But Nine is hemorrhaging so much money that they cant sustain it… time to reign things in.

I agree that it’s a disgrace that Australia’s two most populated mainland territories have no locally produced commercial TV news (thank goodness for the ABC). But I guess that’s all due to reduced budgets and priorities in local TV news broadcasting compared to how things were even 5-10 years ago.

To some extent, I actually wonder how long it’ll be until the major commercial networks decide there’s a need to consolidate metropolitan news services into more centralised news services (I know, Ten has kind of already done it outside of regular weekday bulletins). Of course it goes without saying that I really hope that won’t happen anytime soon…

1 Like

Ten has had national weekend news for as long as I remember. Even going back to the 90s. Was there ever local metro news on weekends?

There was, it was during the news revolution. Can’t remember all the presenters but in Perth it was Michael Tetlow

Belinda Heggen was the presenter in Adelaide during that time

indeed there was, back in the 70’s and 80’s I believe.

Is this what is being discussed?

still think there needs to be a dual local window for people in towns where the regions are split in two by the tv signal

What are you talking about? Share price for NEC up 6% yesterday over their financial results

TEN cared so much for the weekend news - that QLD bulletin aired AFTER the movie at around 8.30pm (the movie aired after the AFL grand final too…)

3 Likes

Share price maybe. But debt is soaring and plenty of staff are quitting.

CONFIRMED: Paul Taylor has replaced Jono on both the Queensland and Darwin regional bulletins. Paul Murphy will join the team for sport.

2 Likes

Prime’s updates for the ACT are produced in Canberra though - not that it helps their localism - but that technicality makes the original post true.

4 Likes

Backdrop during the local window changed to the Darwin shot halfway through and remained like that for the rest of the local window this evening

Indeed

Yes! I’m sorry to lose @Jonathan_Uptin but happy to confirm @9paultaylor is my new wingman!

— Samantha Heathwood (@samheathwood9) February 27, 2018
3 Likes

Great to have confirmation.
Sad to see Jono go, but I really enjoy Sam and Paul as a presenting duo.

It’s just weird to see the Nine News ads on TV still featuring Sam and Jono on the end shot.

5 Likes

Didn’t pick this up earlier but according to her Instagram Sonia Marinelli is expecting another child soon. Wonder who will replace her on weather (hoping for Madeline Slattery).

Just goes to show how little nine cares about its regional bullitens I ask 9 news western Vic if it could have more stores from where iam added since where iam is split by two different TV signals and just got told thanks for the advice and nothing else

1 Like

To be fair they’re probably not in a position to do anything more than that as a response. They also probably get heaps of requests from viewers every day for changing this or changing that. They’re not going to be able to act on every one of them

2 Likes

What town are you in?