Nine News Local

Seven had promos on the air about 6 weeks before they launched “7 Local News Toowoomba”

7 Local News Toowoomba Launch promo

They also had a 7 News Toowoomba FB page up about 3 months out from launch, promoting the team, the region, the cameramen, the editors, the reporters - and even breaking and posting news before the on air launch.

Seven did the same with the launch of “7 Gold Coast News” - the FB page was up about 6 months beforehand - posting news, braking news, posting clips and acting like an on air news service. Building likes and following and a base with which to market the launch of the news service.

They to were running promos about a month out:

7 Gold Coast News launch promo

3 Likes

Here is a preview of the branding for the new local news services

The 9 News Canberra and 9 News Illawarra Facebook pages have launched.

No content yet (and the graphic has a shot of the Sydney Harbour Bridge - go figure) but obviously this is a taste of the branding. And the tagline “More News & More Resources” seems to be the angle.

Which is a true statement against Prime7 and WIN.

6 Likes

And if you’re looking with a really keen eye, you can see “Gold Coast”, “Darwin”, “Sydney”, “Melbourne” written in white text on the left

It seems the plan to roll out regional 9 News services has gone further than we first thought! Haha :joy: :joy: :joy:

9 News Gurdaspur

10 Likes

I think the “more news” and “more resources” tags are a bit misleading (and in comparison to WIN).

We know that there will be LESS local news (only an 8 minute window) compared to WIN’s half hour bulletin.

Yes, they could claim “more news” in comparison to 7 and WIN based solely on the daytime network bulletins, but they are already getting these bulletins.

There won’t be any more news overall when these new bulletins are launched, its just one bulletin replacing another.

@Radiohead

I think the claim is that WIN will have a 30 minute bulletin at 6, Nine will have a 60 minute bulletin.

That is “more news” - double.

Not getting into the smaller details of how much news in that hour will be purely local - as we all know WIN runs many region, state or generic stories too.

I think it’s simply comparing 6pm bulletins - a 30 minute one to a 60 minute one.

But - it is a bit like the “See it First” or “First at Five” claims of other networks. You can pull apart those claims too. So I certainly see your point.

Let’s be realistic though - eight minutes is probably enough. Half of WIN News could be described as padding or fluff. i wouldn’t be surprised if most viewers of WIN News flick over to Nine or Seven news at the first ad break.

Presumably the eight minutes can be scaled up if there’s big/breaking local news to cover.

5 Likes

Will be interesting to see if those are legit FB pages or fake ones (not for the first time either) that have been most likely been made by someone on here.

8 Likes

They look very legit to me

1 Like

Those Facebook pages look fake.

1 Like

Fakebook?

2 Likes

@littlegezzybear

What about them looks fake?

The profile photo and “9 News Illawarra” logo looks EXACTLY like all the other 9 News Darwin, 9 News Sydney, 9 News Perth pages etc.

Identical. To every shading line

9 News Illawarra

9 News Darwin

9 News Sydney

4 Likes

Nine and SCA announced a bulletin for Wollongong, that linked page is for Illawarra so the name is wrong. Also, the cover photos on all of the Nine News pages have a reference to the city they are in, but those two pages have the same generic image.

Wollongong is the largest city - but the broadcast area stretches far beyond that and locals largely refer to the area as Illawarra. Considering the bulletin is for the entire broadcast area Illawarra seems the name they will go with. Like WIN. And Prime7 used to. And ABC Local radio. All use “Illawarra” in local branding.

The cover pages I think you’ll find are temp

1 Like

Newcastle & Central Coast have their own news team

Mike Dalton ‏@mickeyd_9 2h2 hours ago
First ever vision shot for Nine Local News #testingtesting #historicmoment #newtoys

11 Likes

Looks like the Camera is a tad more expensive than the ones that my school has :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hopefully the local bulletins are produced in HD

3 Likes

They should be since they’re being presented out of Nine’s Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane studios.

5 Likes

In that case Brisbane might not be quite yet

2 Likes