Nine News Local

Given that the promo for 9 News NQ has now been released, I’m really surprised how little it’s airing.

I saw the promo 4 times yesterday (2x 15-sec version, 2x 30-sec version), and haven’t seen any promos at all today, and I’ve had Nine on right throughout primetime so far.

I was also expecting to hear something on SCAs radio stations, but alas haven’t heard anything there either.

Apart from the small ads embedded half-way through the ad break that aired yesterday, I’d say 99% of Townsville have no idea the bulletin is coming

2 Likes

and Shepparton - I’m sure WIN News due to (1) its heritage (2) being a 100% Goulburn Valley bulletin would trounce them in the ratings!

Are they using the location part of the headlines for sub-headlines?

2 Likes

The same happened in Canberra; in fact they still aired 9News Sydney promos right up until days before. I guess it’s just SC9 being slack since it’d be a bit more work for SC9 to air different promos for the region that’s about to get their new local bulletin.

3 Likes

Yes - I was re-reading some of the posts in this area and the complaints about promos for Peter Overton being show just before the new bulletin’s launch.

Since easy region has it’s own unique backdrop, this is keyed at Nine in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane (assuming Queensland will have the same setup) - so Nine need to send a separate feed to SCA for each region, which yes, does make it something like 19 simultaneous feeds. SCA still have to play each of these out to the correct regions though (and insert ads), so an SCA mistake could easily see a region get another region’s bulletin or the capital city bulletin as seen tonight.

I wouldn’t be too surprised about the huge capacity to send so many feeds at the same time - it’s likely using a fibre IP connection that would have already been in place that’s capable of doing speeds along the lines of 1Gbps or more.

3 Likes

It looks like it, and it looks stupid!

Oooh yes please, I want one of these!

1 Like

Nah, the govmt says fibre to the home is unnecessary, extravagent, too expensive (so welcome to the new, slow, ‘nbn’).

4 Likes

In terms of ‘feeds’ I would think that it was sent to SCA via FTP.

It’s live so FTP wouldn’t be appropriate.

2 Likes

Move to Wollongong (I’m getting a free upgrade for 12 months! :smile:)

5 Likes

Wow, $129 for unlimited 1Gbps!

That’s not much more than I pay for 1TB of 5Mbps ADSL!

1 Like

Far North Queensland promo:

2 Likes

I struggle to really make benefit of my 100Mb/s. Of course in a few years that will change but for now the struggle is real. So good after 4Mb/s DSL!

Once again, Tassie already ahead of the nation. Launnie has gigabit plans. Not sure how many people are using it, it’s a little bit more expensive and not sure whether people would be able to maximise it unless they’re doing questionable activities.

But to quickly throw this back on topic. Man, I wish we had Nine News Regional in Tasmania.

1 Like

You already have 3 bulletins serving the Apple Isle of about 500,000.

Meanwhile us Novocastrians in a greater viewing area of 700,000 odd still only have 1 local news bulletin.

3 Likes

Given the limited capacity of the links from Tasmania to the mainland I wonder how many people are getting even close to those speeds though.

From what I’ve heard anywhere between 300 and 900, which is pretty good.

Major oops with the Regional Vic bulletins tonight… :flushed:

Region-based graphics were stuck over the top of stories.

Jo Hall: '…and I’m sorry we’re having some technical difficulties, we’ll join you again after the break".

They switched to the Melbourne bulletin until it was fixed up 20 minutes later.

(Apologies for the quick, poor quality iPhone pics)

18 Likes

Your iPhone pics are better in substance than the Canberra bulletin.

10 Likes