Nine News Local

Nine News Regional is a better suited name.

That’s right. I’d forgotten they changed with the 30 minute bulletin.

1 Like

I Don’t really remained convinced. There is most definitely a way to do it.

If you’re trying to convey local / regional news at 5.30 as a point of difference from city/national news at 6 - there most definitely is a better way to do that with background imagery that is not a giant screen of blue nothingness.

It’s a lost opportunity

There are plenty of images that could be put up in that giant blue box part of the faux set backdrops on the QLD, NSW and VIC bulletins that represent the state / viewing area and would work equally for someone in Cairns as someone in maroochydore. And there doesn’t need to he just one. They could have mulitple that they use per bulletin or per week - just like ABC

2 Likes

I don’t mind this idea. I wish they did it again.

Haunting!

1 Like

I know what you’re saying there but I wonder if there’s more of a psychological reason why. When I hear the word regional, I think out in the sticks type thing whereas when I hear local it means - here, where I am. I wonder if that’s some of the reasoning.

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nine (Southern Cross)

Except effort.

They could also pin up a slideshow representing the different regions in the background. Absolutely nothing stopping them.

Except effort. sigh

3 Likes

Nine News Local to be aired on 9Go from the 8th-20th of Feb due to the Australian Open.

5 Likes

At least they are still airing it

5 Likes

A more logical decision is moving it to 6:00pm and returning to tennis coverage at 6:30 in regional areas rather than 7:00.

3 Likes

ive been told it was a SCA decision

2 Likes

Agree, there is nothing from stopping 9 News having an image that represents the market, or a slideshow of images, or a combination of images instead of the giant blue blob they use.

No technical, budget or creative reasons why it can’t be done.

The only reason as PointJules says is effort: or I would also say lack or knowledge, initiative or foresight. Whoever is in charge of making these decisions doesn’t understand the subtle things that can easily be done to make a product connect with your viewers better. Or again, does not care.

3 Likes

I think having the news on a multi channel is fine as long as it’s advertised during the tennis coverage to change to 9GO for the local news. That’s what multichannels are for. The whole concept of having a main channel and multiple sub channels went away when angalog television was switched off. Also if a match is delayed after 6pm then the news should be shown at 6pm anyway on a multi channel leaving the Tennis on the main channel. People are capable of switching channels and the news should be on at 6pm regardless it should not be delayed. Treat the channels as Nine it shouldn’t matter what is shown on 9GO vs what’s shown on Nine(Main channel).

As I have said before, regional news services should be the same quality as their metropolitan counterparts and it really annoys me that someone at SCA doesn’t agree with this and lets Nine News Local air that is a sub par product compared to any other news bulletin shown on SCA’s Nine stations and it isn’t good enough. It’s something I feel particularly passionate about. Most of the issues are simple and can be resolved with little cost and a bit of effort.

They have done the same in the Spencer Gulf for a few years as well. Hide it away where a fraction of the audience watch rather than give it space alongside the higher rating tennis content.

2 Likes

As seen in Sunshine Coast tonight during the opener.

As seen here:

11 Likes

Promos are being rolled out:

https://fb.watch/3venMrAW_g/

8 Likes

It looks so odd seeing the news from that angle on the ACA setup, with the graphics on the left and the fake studio on the main screen. may as well go for a background that would allow them to sue more than the one screen.

14 Likes

It’s almost like they have no creative vision.

3 Likes

They should look into using different angles like this on this set.

Some story presentation graphics like how ACA does it would look good.

5 Likes

Agree. It would look decent.
It looks terrible showing off the set alongside the fake backdrop.

3 Likes