Nine News Local

There is quite a bit of marketing science and psychology that goes Into someone hitting “follow” for a brand on faFacebolk. People don’t go over Facebook hitting folllow on brands and companies that don’t have an affinity with. When someone hits follow on a social page it’s a strong indication they like your brand and want to be connected. There isn’t a brand on earth that isn’t actively to grow the follows so they can push messaging to more people.

It’s not an indicator of how many people will watch, but more an indicator of how many people want to be involved with your brand and how many people you can reach with your marketing / messaging / content.

For example 9 News regional has Over 200,000 people who have chosen to hit “follow” and be connected to the brand. That’s 200,000 people who like and are interested in their content that Nine/SCA could have been messaging to the the bulletins are returning, inviting viewers back, promoting the time and the new format at 530 and driving awareness. It’s a really powerful marketing tool as 100% of your audience has already demonstrated they want to hear from your brand.

When you run a promo on Air, say in Ninja - you migt reach more people - but only a fraction of them are actually interested in what you are selling

So FB offers incredible targeted marketing

Of course. Now 3 days out 9 News regional has opted to completely not use this tool

1 Like

What will happen to the local social accounts? Only post stories relevant to that market? Or abandon all together?

1 Like

I would expect they become more important than ever (I would hope) for local stories. Journos can easily sign in and post updates, teases, breaking local news and info and video content and stories all day long

6 Likes

I’d suspect Darwin’s is so high (well above the population) because of the viral success of the Christmas videos they’ve done in the past.

2 Likes

The Melbourne set looks terrible with that blue colour along the set on this white backdrop.
What’s with the offset “Local” text under the logo too?

1 Like

Gavin Morris now the weather presenter for all bulletins in all states.

5 Likes

I wonder if this is another promo-lie, as we saw promo shots taken from the main sets (e.g. 9News Sydney), despite the actual bulletins then being presented from a broom closet.

5 Likes

Makes sense to centralise to reduce costs further. Gav seems like a good presenter too.

5 Likes

Not necessarily. I’d say they were just shooting promos there yesterday and the bulletin will come from the old regional sets.

6 Likes

I really don’t hate this?

The backdrop used during live crosses which is basically all blue is disgusting. This looks much more fresh.

I’m assuming this is just for promos.

1 Like

Yes and being around since 2010.

Nine Darwin has had heaps of viral news stories over the past few years.

They actually have more likes than some metro bulletins (Adelaide)

If you watch joe’s IG stories it looks like rehearsals, not promo lines. Her caption also says “like riding a bike” whixh would indicate she was rehearsing doing actual news not fake promo lines - But certainly could be wrong.

Yes.

Areas like Regional NSW would have more interaction on their pages since the WIN News axings.

Regional Queensland has more competition and heritage news bulletins that would prevent more interest in the local Nine News brand.

I’m assuming Nine News is the only TV news service servicing Gippsland? I could be wrong.

It’s to my understanding that there’s still a local WIN News bulletin in Gippsland.

1 Like

Yep, WIN still airing news in all regional Vic markets - except Border North-East.

1 Like

What is happening with the Darwin?

TV guides don’t say anything about a local bulletin - so nothing at this stage.

2 Likes

Just Queensland’s news at 6pm seven nights a week as is now.

3 Likes

It will be a crying shame if going forward all Nine Darwin gives viewers are glorified noodle updates, that aren’t even advertised on the EPG/TV guides. NTD viewers have been accustomed to a dedicated bulletin - the only local news bulletin on commercial networks - since 1982. Lumping Darwin news it in with RQLD was bad enough - now it effectively looks like a bulletin as such is dumped completely. I do hope not.

2 Likes

Socials will still be operated, local stories will be uploaded - along with breaking news.

4 Likes