Nine News Late

Or Nine New Laterer?

5 Likes

OK one more suggestion :wink:

Nine News Last.

3 Likes

The Latest is different though in that it launched in a ‘regular’ news cycle (though in Summer to take advantage of the BBL lead-in).

‘Nine News Late’ seems to be designed (at least initially) not to allow Seven to have the late news audience all to themselves while the Coronavirus pandemic continues

4 Likes

If this is actually a permanent addition to the schedule, one reason why it might not be called Nightline is that Nine have just paid for and introduced a brand new graphics package.

This package has much more stock elements that can be used across all bulletins (plain title cards, plain Nine News logo on the big screen) and they’ve already created the night backdrop to work with that package for the COVID-19 late specials. It’s cheaper and easier to just keep using what they’ve got, and they have brand recognition through all bulletins.

I’d love to see the Nightline name return but only if it’s more than just repackaged stories, it needs to have something making it different from regular bulletins to deserve having a different name. Co-branding might be likely in any case, whether a small Nine News logo is attached like The Latest, or if it only appears in the opening card (Nine News logo transitions to the Nightline logo: “This is Nightline, with…”).

2 Likes

Alternatively they could also call it “Nine News: Nightline”.

Can easily picture/hear Matthew O’Sullivan saying “From Nine News, this is Nightline with Peter Overton”.

From memory, Overton did present Nightline at least once, on 5 May 1997.

3 Likes

It should be called

NNNNNNNN Late Edition

(New National Nine Network Nightly Nightline News Now)

:grinning:

9 Likes

What about New National Nine Network Nightly News Now?

5 Likes

Excellent idea!

Added!

2 Likes

Very good. Now let’s move on.

3 Likes

You remember who was reading a random bulletin on night 23 years ago?

3 Likes

Overton appears to have been on Nightline more than once. He wrote to a fan in 1995 that he had been on Nightline, Today and Daybreak.

11 Likes

“From memory”? :thinking:

1 Like

Nine’s attempts at late news have always been pretty lame

6pm stories run again. No format changes, nothing new f fresh or different. The later times lot not taken into consideration at all with regards to tone, pace, content or voice

They really just put in minimal effort and run a very standard bulletin

4pm even is better produced than nines late news

3 Likes

It’s currently being produced by regional producers. If the bulletin is permanent, I’d expect someone else will EP it.

The World Tonight with Clive Robertson in 1991 was very entertaining. It’s where Alan Jones got one of his early television gigs doing the Crossfire segment. Robertson also revived Beauty and the Beast for this show. Jim Waley’s earlier The World Tonight in 1982 was all international news.

That’s already happening in thousands of homes

How about Smartline?

5 Likes

@nationalnews do we know that for fact? I don’t believe Nine’s spin posted here

Nines late bulletins have always been lame

1 Like

I agree. That show was really hitting its stride when Nine pulled it and replaced it with that Nightline snoozefest with the dour Jim Waley. Robertson was innovating an interesting format but was ultimately nobbled by internal politics as the serious journos complained he was tarnishing the Nine News brand with his hijinx.

2 Likes

I remember seeing Jim being very stiff and emotionless when presenting Nightline, Sydney news and Sunday. A great journalist no doubt, but not the best presenter.

1 Like