Nine News Darwin

It be interesting to know how their simulcast with Territory FM works. Presumedly the news timings aren’t the exact time each night (but the update length would be) . In theory they’d have a half hour heads up?

I wonder if Territory just fade out a song half way through to match Nine?

Made more sense when it was a full bulletin.

I think its the whole broadcast (Brisbane News and Darwin Optouts).

1 Like

Ah well that would make sense. I wonder if they’re happy about the loss of revenue they may have made during the news? But maybe that’s unimportant during Covid.

Juice 107.3 Gold Coast mostly air songs in their sponsor breaks during their Nine Gold Coast News/Nine News Queensland simulcast.

2 Likes

Territory FM play their station idents instead of the sponsorboard.

Nine made idents for them years ago saying “From the Darwin studios of Channel 9, this is Nine News on Territory FM” etc

I’ll get a recording tonight, it can be a bit rough at times.

Territory FM uses a different news theme for the Nine News updates during the day too. They use the one from the mid 00’s. I’m assuming they have been using this theme since Nine and TFM first came together in 2010 ish.

4 Likes

@OnAir @TV.Cynic and Mods,

Shouldn’t this thread be in the 9 News thread?

Why do all other cities with far more news content to
Discuss share a single thread and Darwin has its on thread just for updates?

Seems overkill

3 Likes

Pretty dodgy, the theme ends 15 secs before the end of the update?

3 Likes

Good, you can barely hear her over it.

3 Likes

No, its fine where it is - granted its a bit of a unique situation.

8 Likes

A whole thread for updates?

Gold Coast 9 news is unique

As is 7 Tasmania

And they don’t have threads

Have you ever seen the Seven & Nine News (SCA) thread?

Then make them and discuss. Let’s see how much discussion we can have about Nine News Gold Coast to warrant a thread.

Nine News Darwin is in some kind of limbo mode right now. It was part of Nine’s metro news productions, moved to regional production, and now it’s anyone’s guess where it goes from here. I think since there are users from Darwin actively monitoring and commenting on it, a dedicated thread is absolutely warranted. It was only created 11 days ago and already has 71 posts.

:roll_eyes:

18 Likes

Yes it’s a single thread for multiple actual full bulletins

That thread covers the 7 Tasmania and Spencer Gulf bulletins plus the noodle updates on their Nine station they produce (which is just the presenter talking for 1 minute straight)

Darwin isn’t really apart of the metro or regional news departments. It’s sort of solo until further notice. The reputation for that market is destroyed now anyway - will take a very long time to recover if they choose to become competitive again with some sort of local news structure.

6 Likes

I’m all for threads with special intense interests like this, especially if people feel so strongly and we’re able to get signals from the inside. It’s a microcosm of a microcosm.

1 Like

NTD is currently exploring new options/formats to deliver news.

Current form of delivery isn’t working out for them - there is no sports, weather or community like stories.

Overall engagement on 9 News Darwin social media has significantly decreased since regional news was halted in March as-well.

3 Likes

Surely a half hour local bulletin is on the cards…

I reckon an hour long composite bulletin is still the best option forward (even though it is less than likely this will ever happen again).

Air it 7 days a week with Sam Heathwood (who already does the RQLD bulletins earlier on) doing the Darwin news with separate sports/weather presenters. Paul Taylor can do the weekends with the Brisbane sports/weather presenters pre-recording respective segments for Darwin.

3 Likes

Tonight’s updates;

6:30PM

6:40PM

Slight stuff-up in 6:40 pm update - wrong sponsor board played the start. Correct one played heading into Nine News Queensland at the end.

Possibly the worst, outdated graphics I’ve seen on TV for a while. The Australia map made me feel like I was back in primary school learning the states and territories. All on-location footage isn’t white balanced

4 Likes

Tonight’s updates;

6:30pm

6:40pm

3 Likes

As of yesterday, Nine News Darwin is only producing 1 update rather than 2.

3 minutes of local content from a team of 8 people :upside_down_face:

2 Likes