Nine News Darwin

Bad. It feels like WIN News!

How so? Lots of packaged stories and no live crosses?

2 Likes

Big loss of talent of recent, Paul Taylor being utilised on QTQ more than his own bulletin, etc.

Most of the new recruitments have been from WIN as-well.

They mean to say she’s in charge of running the operation, she’s not on air anchoring.

Ah ok.

Looking at the Nine News Darwin Facebook page, it seems Zoe Martin has replaced Jack Hahn in the bulletin, bringing the reporters back to four.

I have noticed that all the reporters are female now (if you don’t count Paul Taylor who lives in Brisbane). Not being sexist, just something I have noticed.

1 Like

Not sexist at all to make the observation.

Is the bulletin being controlled from TCN permanently, or back at QTQ with NBN? Also is Paul Murphy still News Director? If @TV-QLD could get back to me, thanks.

It’s controlled at QTQ now - will return to TCN after Daylight Savings ends.

Paul Murphy is still News Director :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why the constant swapping between QTQ and TCN? Can’t they keep it in one place or the other?

Daylight savings my friend.

2 Likes

Saves cost during daylight savings period with NBN and Darwin out of 1 control room.

Not logistically possible during non-DS however.

They have a sports reporter called Michael Hylard - who also acts as a Producer.

He replaced Matthew Tsimpkas.

2 Likes

The only problem is everyone apart from Kathleen/the two Paul’s, everyone is brand new, none of them being seen before 2022. Most of the reporters from 2021 left and in came brand new ones.

So?

It happens all the time in media. Reporters start in regional and shift to bigger markets when job offerings become available internally.

1 Like

Nine News Darwin is celebrating 40 years on-air this week -

4 Likes

Great to see Darren Wick and Charles Croucher there. Unfortunately no Jonathan Uptin but still a great report by Kathleen Gazolla (who is loyal to Nine Darwin)

I wonder what we will see in the future? Maybe weekend bulletins (like NBN News and Nine News Tasmania) or a proper set?

1 Like

Darren Wick: Community news is where it all begins. Before we get to federal, national, international level, to be in the community we’ve gotta be there local.

*cough, cough * except on weekends *cough, cough *

Darwin is too small for a proper weekend news. Yes they used to do a Quazi weekend news back in the day but it was a token effort.

You could justify and say the Gold Coast (Australia’s 6th largest city) needs a proper 7 day a week local news. Seven tried for a year but the audience and budget isn’t there.

5.30 weekends wasn’t a good time to run the local news as it was up against the footy and local travel shows. News at 6 (as in Darwin’s case) would fare better. There’s just no competition so they don’t feel the need.