Nine News Darwin

Ah the good old days. I loved that set from 2003 to 2011 It made me feel at home

1 Like

Yes brings back many memories for us Territorians.

1990s era wasn’t a bad look either for it’s time -

4:30 is Andrew Bruyn - recently retired station manager who is also father of Kathleen Bruyn (Gazzola).

5 Likes

I didn’t like the set from QTQ where it was aired from august 2017 but they improved it in 2020. Despite that I preferred the sets from 2003 to 2017 when it was more real looking. Knowing nine network had to relocate the news bulletin from Darwin to Brisbane it was sad to see. I doubt Darwin will ever see a local set where news are read from Darwin again.

1 Like

This might be from that timer period, Nine News but the opener still says National Nine News.

3 Likes

The voiceover uses “Nine News” in the clip I have from 11 May 2009.

2 Likes

Impressive bulletin for Darwin tonight. Nine showed 13 local stories plus live coverage of bushfires and live weather - alongside ABC who had 5 stories and no live coverage.

This bulletin seems to be improving under Paul Murphy and Amy Sinclair’s new leadership.

18 Likes

Paul Murphy presenting the bulletin tonight, dressed appropriately for Police Remembrance Day -

Weather coming live from Dharavi Slums in Mumbai -

More caps below

5 Likes

Streaming promo

3 Likes

More promos

4 Likes

Did any of the other sets have the Panasonic logo? or only Darwin?

I’m confident GTV and TCN didn’t.

The set came from old GTV site - which I believe had Panasonic logos on it?

2 Likes

Melbourne certainly didn’t have a logo at the top on the original set.

3 Likes

TCN had a Panasonic logo built into the wood framing.

1 Like

From Instagram -

3 Likes

So I assume Darwin wasn’t affected tonight by NBN News using the same control room now?

I don’t see why it would be. The same team operated Darwin and QLD regional news at once…. this is essentially the same thing.

Kind of different considering Darwin was simply windows back then, whereas now they are both completely separate bulletins from one another.

There was quite a period after Darwin was reinstated to a full bulletin before Local was axed. From memory, local would finish using the studio/control room at 6pm local time allowing a half hour transition for Darwin to use the space from 6.30 QLD time.

Darwin was reinstated after local news had been moved to 5.30 so there was never an overlap.

There is no overlap at the moment either, however once daylight savings ends, Darwin will be half an hour behind, hence an overlap which didn’t exist before (bar the local windows in the previous form of the bulletin).

My question is, is this control room capable of handling two completely independant bulletins at once?

Oh right, I missed that. You’d have to suspect so, or maybe it will be controlled from TCN during summer?

2 Likes