Nine News Darwin

Amy Sinclair has been appointed Chief of Staff of Nine News Darwin - previously Sydney based.

4 Likes

As mentioned last week in the presenters thread.

3 Likes

Big shoes for Amy to fill, and also gives her a chance to file reports unlike others in the same role in bigger markets.

The product has improved significantly since Nine News Local ended. Lots of content, live crosses, interviews and special coverage.

3 Likes

Any news if there will be further re-expansion such as weekend bulletins or a local anchor?

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of. I don’t think Nine is in any rush to change things. Pretty much things are likely to stay the same for the time being.

2 Likes

“Programming alert” thumbnail spotted on Instagram

4 Likes

Ugly Arial.

2 Likes

Throwback to the previously-ugly Nine News Darwin in it’s earlier QTQ-produced bulletins -

Also the questionable orange/blue National Nine News set -

6 Likes

:joy: :nauseated_face:

Wow I don’t think I’ve ever seen the actual set from Darwin in that era. Do you have any other caps?

3 Likes

That weird rock wall section.

1 Like

I’ll need to dig for some caps, but here is some old photos I found of the previous studio when it was first fitted in 2011 era.

8 Likes

It was there from 2003 to about 2010 or thereafter from what I can recall

1 Like

The other states had a similar colour scheme during this era:

I don’t think that Darwin set looks any worse than the current Gold Coast one.

7 Likes

My guess is the Darwin set posted above would’ve have also been used during the previous orange/blue globe package. But there doesn’t seem to be anything online from that particular era.

The set was changed for National Nine News in 2003. It was then later changed in 2011 to the metro look due to the launch of weekend news and keeping branding in-line with other stations.

Eight National News aired until Dec 31 2002 using a different set.

Darwin maintained National Nine News branding longer than metro I believe.

5 Likes

Wasn’t the backdrop used during the final days of Eight National News pretty similar to what TCN & QTQ had at the time? I just assumed NTD may have kept that one in use (along with all other branding elements, just changing all the Eight logos/references to Nine ones) until maybe 2004 when there was a larger scale rebrand of National Nine News.

1 Like

Pretty much. Darwin ditched National Nine News branding when they launched the 104.1 Territory FM simulcast in 2009-2010 ish, but kept the theme until the new set in 2011.

1 Like

Yep, between March and May 2009 they dropped National Nine News and adopted the new ‘aqua blue’ Nine News look. Then between May and October 2009 they launched the 104 One simulcast.

4 Likes

I wish there were caps/videos from this era. Would be amazing to see the missing link I think. I know there’s a video of Eight National News on YouTube from the 1990s though. But nothing from the beginning of Jonathan Uptin’s tenure.

2 Likes