Nine News Darwin

Re, the separate studio/control rooms at TCN, GTV & QTQ: You’d imagine these will likely be kept in some way? Even if only as a back-up for major technical difficulties or occasions like Election nights when the 6pm bulletin will have to be presented from an alternative studio while the main set is used for coverage.

Although in the case of TCN, I suppose it’s possible that the WWOS studio might be used for Election Night coverage (especially since both NSW state and federal election coverage will be presented from North Sydney) while Nine News Sydney at 6pm continues to be presented from the usual set…

4 Likes

Hope so!

TCN and GTV have many back-ups anyway.

I just think this is a golden opportunity for NTD to restore the pre-2017 format. It seems pointless funding a full local service based at Brisbane when it’s almost the same cost to do it in Darwin.

5 Likes

Agreed, although realistically I’m sure Nine will find an excuse to keep presentation of Nine News Darwin in Brisbane (Darwin being far more cyclone prone than Brisbane is the obvious one I could see them using) rather than move it back home though.

2 Likes

Presentation & control staff being able to fill in for 9News Darwin & 9News Brisbane when someone’s away still seems a valid reason, even if they’ll be just doing a couple of evening bulletins instead of the larger number now.

6 Likes

I gather Nine’s new contract with WIN has a minimum 7-year term before any extension.

2 Likes

A very interesting press release from Nine -

Mentions WIN will provide a sales representation service in Darwin for a period of time?

1 Like

Yes, same as for NBN. National sales to go through WIN’s sales division.

3 Likes

NINE NEWS DARWIN - 19/03/2021

Caps

Weather Preview #1

Sports Report

Weather Report

Finance + Closer

Kyrrie Blenkinsop is seen in the opener at a press conference. She has only recently started working again after she lost her role at Nine Darwin from local cuts.

6 Likes

Kyrrie finished up at Nine in 2017 and was working as Communications Officer for the
Northern Territory Police Association until Jan 21 and is now working as Communications Advisor, Office of the Leader of the Opposition
Northern Territory Government.

3 Likes

So what’s the plan for 9 in Darwin from July?

3 Likes

TBA.

QTQ will most likely continue operating a separate studio and control room for Darwin but it will be the same cost to run one locally as per my argument above.

3 Likes

I’m presuming if they moved presentation back to Darwin they’d keep using the regional control room at QTQ? It’s already there, it’s already staffed (and probably easier to keep staffed in future if in Brisbane instead of Darwin), with modern technology the location of the control room is basically irrelevant, and it’s not unprecedented to centralise control rooms for different cities but keep separate presentation (10 Melbourne and Adelaide, 10 Sydney and Perth). Not really a strong case to spend money building a brand new one in Darwin, or is there?

5 Likes

I’d say keep it there in case they start producing Nine News Local bulletins for WIN in the future. No need to move the infrastructure to Darwin.

NTD got a new smaller-scale control room when they moved to Mitchell Street. There are also direct links to the east and west coast.

Control room location doesn’t really matter these days, yes. It’s much more cost-effective now than what it was before to produce a local bulletin from Darwin even if the control room was local.

Nine can transport a set if needed. The shoebox ACA set will fit perfectly into the new building.

At the moment Darwin are making use of Nine News Local resources for their own service, but they will be on their own after June 30. Some sort of News Director/EP will be appointed as-well.

I doubt.

4 Likes

GWN7 Local News is a good example of centralised control and literally an office used as a local studio.

6 Likes

If they’d be so lucky to get a set at all. They’d probably get a new background screen to sit in front of and call it a day.

I agree that the ACA set would do just nicely for Darwin, and even the Gold Coast. Small and manageable, looks nice enough but also dead basic so that it can be used across different iterations of graphics packages without there eventually being a clashing of styles (the 2009-era east coast sets looked good through several packages but once the 2016 package launched it drastically aged the sets).

4 Likes

NINE NEWS DARWIN - 29/03/2021

Special 30-minute reduced bulletin due to the cyber-attack. The bulletin ended with a short adbreak before returning to Nine News Queensland at 6:32pm.

Paul Taylor presented weather as Dejero systems are unavailable for local live crosses from both the Darwin studio and remotely.

Caps below -

5 Likes

Darwin version -

Hopefully they keep these up after the cyber-attack but made properly.

1 Like

Over the past few nights, Channel 9 Darwin has ceased going into Nine News QLD after the half-hour reduced bulletin, instead of going into A Current Affair at 6:30pm then showing alternative programming at 7:00pm (or going into NRL coverage).

Clearly a move to prevent complaints about excessive amounts of Queensland news content - just like the previous regional news model.

6 Likes

Are they at least putting national stories + sport in the shortened bulletin?

1 Like