Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Very sad. Plenty of real news on the Gold Coast yet they cover this rubbish.

They pay for other exposure. This is a ‘bonus’.

Just like their ratings the last month at 6pm.

What a great combo. Bruce and Eva. Like the good ol days up on the hill for both of them.

Plenty missing, the list to choose from is here:

No Ellenbrook, no Northam or York which have long received Perth signals.

3 Likes

Yeah i agree about those surrounding parts of metropolitan Perth. Perhaps they should add Kalamunda, Wanneroo and Pinjarra too but i think the reason why Nine put in neighboring areas like Gosnells is because it would the same as if it was in Armadale.

Nine Brisbane ‘Major’ Exclusive promo

For examples of General, Private and 4 star exclusives see

5 Likes

After yesterday’s problems with graphics on Gold Coast and Brisbane News, Nine have ditched the Gold Coast branding elements tonight for the 5.30pm bulletin.

However, it was on the previews

Brisbane’s afternoon news looked to be back to normal

5 Likes

Does the Gold Coast watermark the afternoon news too?

1 Like

No - just for 5.30 - 6pm

NINE NEWS SYDNEY

NO. 1 EIGHT YEARS IN A ROW

For the eighth consecutive year, Nine News Sydney can claim an early ratings victory in the highly competitive television news battle.

At the end of the 21st week of the 40-week official ratings calendar, Nine News Sydney has won all 21 weeks on an average weekly audience measurement, putting it in an unbeatable position to claim the ratings crown.

The year-to-date average audience figures are as follows:

TIME NINE SEVEN
6.00pm to 6.30pm 273,000 242,000
6.30pm to 7.00pm 267,000 242,000

Source: OzTAM 11.2.2018 – 20.7.2018, Monday to Friday, excluding Easter

Nine News Sydney’s veteran news anchor, Peter Overton, is humbled by the result in this his tenth year behind the 6.00pm news desk.

“We have a team of hard-working and outstanding reporters, producers, editors and camera teams who strive each day to bring viewers fair and accurate reports on issues across our state, the nation and the world. This result is a true testament to their efforts,” he said.

“Personally, to be at the helm of Sydney’s flagship bulletin for a decade is a great privilege and I thank the viewers who continue to trust and rely on Nine News to keep them up to date and informed.”

Nine News Sydney Director, Simon Hobbs, said: “The professionalism, dedication and hard work of our entire team is second to none. Every day we remain committed to bringing our loyal viewers more stories and news, without bias, to ensure Nine News remains Sydney’s most trusted source.”

12 Likes

Unless, of course, Aldi.

9 Likes

That 2nd photo provided with the press release…can we please see something like that for the next Promo Endtag?! :slight_smile:

Nine News Sydney isn’t without it’s share of questionable “news stories” from time to time, but I don’t think I’ve seen them run quite the same amount of blatant advertising for Aldi as Nine News Queensland.

2 Likes

Since the Sydney presenting line-up doesn’t run Mon-Fri, I though there might be some interest in the following year-to-date averages as well (based on my calculations).

Network Sun Fri 6pm Fri 6.30pm Sat
Nine 328,000 245,000 228,000 209,000
Seven 269,000 213,000 209,000 191,000
2 Likes

Nine need to look into why their audience drops.

Would you happen to have one of 2016 or 2017, so we can compare Deb and Georgie, Michael and Mel?

something from that photo tells me Petey doesn’t smile a lot unlike Sutcliffe jr., the Newcastle Knights and the White Witch

I think it’d be rather interesting to see what the Sunday to Thursday average is between the 6pm news bulletins of Seven and Nine in the Sydney market.

But I still rather appreciate the above figures being posted by TV Cynic - probably shows just how much Nine Sydney benefits from the NRL lead-in on Sunday nights for 6-7 months of the year! Also, I wonder why Seven might be so close on Saturday nights (Sydney Weekender moved to 5.30pm Sundays a few years back, so it can’t be that)?

OK…I’m going to say it.

Perhaps Nine News Sydney seriously needs to consider hiring a meteorologist to be their lead weather presenter if they want to remain #1 in the market.

4 Likes

Sunday - Thurs can only be calculated as a one hour result because of Sunday:

Nine 289,000
Seven 254,000

2 Likes

Yes, but it could be as simple as moving sport and/or weather into the first half.

Average for 6-7pm at 20-week mark

2018:
Nine: 270,000
Seven: 242,000

2017:
Nine: 280,000
Seven: 246,000

2016:
Nine: 292,000
Seven: 251,000

4 Likes

Thanks for posting those figures! :slight_smile:

I’m somewhat surprised that Nine didn’t boast about those in the press release, since the Sunday-Thursday average for the hour is probably a higher result than the one hour result for Monday-Friday or the half hourly averages on weeknights.

Maybe moving the Headline Recap (currently shown at the top of the segment between Sport & Weather) to the first segment after 6.30pm might be a good idea?

To accompany that, I’d shorten the currently fairly long Sport/Weather Previews and incorporate them in the closest break playout to the 6.30pm Headline Recap. Perhaps something like…

This idea would likely be accompanied by Pete (or Deb if it’s a Friday) promoting the headlines in front of the giant screen and graphics telling us that the stories coming up will be in X minutes. Sport/Weather previews would be presented from a different area of the set (perhaps the videowalls) with a pre-recorded ACA promo from that program’s set.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that both 7 and 9 are in decline over the past 3 years - the decline for 9 being more than 7. I don’t think either service is particularly strong!

Honestly I’m surprised the decline isn’t steeper - the audience is literally dying off over the years.

2 Likes

Feature story in Brisbane tonight was based on the opening of a new Woolworths store :roll_eyes:

5 Likes