Nine News Content and Appearance

Nine breaks into programming along the east coast.

5 Likes

Interesting 9s lead story was Hardwick tonight while 7 started with state budget.

What was the right call?

1 Like
4 Likes

Adelaide too: Join the team at 9News Adelaide - YouTube

I think they only have like 2 senior reporters now, everyone else is pretty fresh.

1 Like

The Nine News Adelaide logic is take in as many green journo’s as they can and pump the Senior or Highly competent ones out into other states or corespondent work. Half of the current reporters have been there less than two years.

5 Likes

Sounds like a great opportunity then!

1 Like

Wonder if they’re looking at expanding. More bulletins? News at 2 or 3 maybe?

Local morning edition for all states would be nice.
Adelaide and Perth especially to match Seven.

3 Likes

I really don’t think Nine needs any more bulletins. They already tried the 3pm slot with Nine News Now, and with Tipping Point a constant feature of the Top 20, I would think there would be little appetite to go back at the moment.

6 Likes

Maybe a midday bulletin?

A news channel?

Could help explain the Tassie bulletin delay.

Notable cases: Joel Dry, sister of former The Block contestant Amity Dry, began his career at NWS before obviously gaining a higher profile at QTQ and then moving to Seven News Brisbane in mid-2018.

Ben Avery (and now Edward Godfrey) also gained a national profile as Nine’s European correspondent, too.

With their respective afternoon presenters anchoring those bulletins, so as to not be “under-used”.

That’s what I would do if Seven also introduced local morning news bulletins in Melbourne and Brisbane.

As I touched on a while ago, Nine News Now was a rather pointless news bulletin especially as the Afternoon News immediately followed it. It made sense for Nine to go with Tipping Point in the 3:00pm timeslot so as to give afternoon viewers an alternate against Seven’s The Chase (August this year will mark a decade since they first aired the show).

I’d like to see that; Nine’s offering would provide a point-of-difference (of sorts) against the long-running ABC News channel which will mark 13 years on air this July. Would also give viewers outside of the East Coast, especially, the chance to watch Today and other programs live and not on delay.

Plenty more too, Ashley Wick, Reece D’Alessandro in Canberra, Alice Monfries in Sydney (before she returned to NWS) and Georgia Westgarth (ACA)

3 Likes

I recall there was a mention a while ago on the TVBlackBox podcast of a dedicated 24 hour 9 news channel “around the corner” or words to that effect. It was only briefly mentioned.

1 Like

“Nine News First At 2 - on the day before” :grin:

Reminds me of a skit that Full Frontal or Comedy Inc once did when the TV networks first tried to outdo each other with earlier bulletins.

1 Like

True, and then the issue is you have a bulletin full of people unfamiliar to the viewers. It clearly isn’t working for them. Most of their senior reporters now are just waiting on the call from Sydney. I mean their political reporter must be like 24, and he’ll head east first chance he gets.

1 Like

I reckon there will be some “shifting around” with this logic once the Tasmanian bulletin begins. Use Tassie as the training ground.

They’ve also got NBN-WIN bulletins as training grounds too. Even 7 regionals too. Then poach them when they’re ready.

A bit like the Roosters in the NRL - why develop your own talent when you can poach someone elses :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And it’s even easier to do now with 7 regional bulletins on 7plus… I’m sure Nine have talent scouts watching these to see who they can recruit.

Which may be partly why NBN and WIN bulletins are not on 9Now or elsewhere… they don’t want to make it easier for other networks to poach “their” talent?

Nine Perth had a breaking news segment this morning their time.

5 Likes