Nine News Content and Appearance

Hopefully they’ll scrutinise the LNP in their bulletin tomorrow night :rofl::rofl::rofl:

With Nine News doing crap this year compared to Seven who is about to win in Melbourne, I reckon there needs to be some change to the formula. The Chase is winning over Hot Seat lately which is one of the big reasons Nine News is loosing. So, maybe trial this over summer:

Nine News VIC First at 5pm. Hot Seat would be moved to 4pm to accommodate. There would be headlines at the start of the bulletin, as well as a live backdrop. It would have the same interactive feature as Perth where people can ask questions via email or Facebook. It would also have the same logo as Perth uses, except it would say “VIC First” and have a map of Victoria.

There would be a problem for WIN if Nine decided to move afternoon news to 5pm. They wouldn’t be able to jump out and in the bulletin, and it would be very clunky. I think Nine would force WIN to move WIN News to 9Go, like during the Australian Open. I doubt Nine would say “Fuck you, go axe your Victorian bulletins because we want the whole afternoon news to show at 5pm.”

1 Like

They could do an opt out at 5.30 like they currently do at 4.30.

But agree, a change to 4pm news could be on the cards if Hot Seat can’t make up some ground.

Millionaire seems to work really well in Sydney and Brisbane… so it’s a difficult one.

4 Likes

Really out there suggestion alert. Could they possibly do a AFL related quiz and chat program daily at 5pm just for Melbourne only?

1 Like

I think you’re on to something there with an AFL/sports program, possibly with a quiz/game show element. They’d be silly to axe Hot Seat in the other markets because it’s still very dominant in Sydney in particular, so I think Nine just need to think a little outside the box and come up with something that really appeals to Melbourne for 5pm.

I reckon Nine could launch Tipping Point Australia to replace Hot Seat (if they’d ever go down that path), but knowing Nine they’ll pitch Eddie into the hosting role.

I could only imagine a contestant saying “lock it in” to answer a question in the final round (in which there are multiple choice questions, as in the British version).

Strip hot seat back to a tight 30 minutes, get rid of the superfluous quickest finger first and the inane chatter. Then something fast and fun at 5.30, sale, price is right, or similar, but with real money and real aspirational prizes. Tipping point is too entrenched in a 1 hour format as the machine is slow.

9 Likes

I Agree with you insidethebunker, We need something more fun and engaging like the Australian Version of Wheel of Fortune with Suzuki being the Car Sponsor with the Vitara and the New S-Cross as the Car Prizes & Sale of The Century with Mazda as the Car Sponsor with the CX-5 and CX-9 as the Car Prizes to come back on Australian TV. Instead of Renovation and Wedding TV Shows like Married At First Sight and The Block that just won’t go away.

2 Likes

It’s time for a new game show tbh. Format is tired.

1 Like

Gold Coast promo

Breaking News opener in Brisbane tonight.

5 Likes

The 9 News website banner has changed colour this afternoon. Either an issue with the CSS or a glimpse at a new on-air presentation package :rotating_light::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Thought I was looking at ABC News for a sec with that combo of black and aqua blue! :face_with_peeking_eye:

Sort of reminds me of a quick mock I did last year:

5 Likes

Nine broke into this afternoon’s programming.

7 Likes

Small change to Melbourne, after sport Pete will read one short 30 second story before crossing to Livinia. Only seems to be some nights though.

3 Likes

QTQ9 Brisbane 6pm news are pushing the envelope with their advertorials of late - they appear to be upselling them with promos, notably 2 at the start of the bulletin today.

Also noted an ex QTQ journalist filing stories on Seven from Adelaide - they seem to have lost some staff recently from the QTQ newsroom.

3 Likes

One that Palaszczuk didn’t get?!

Nine has tended to be the gold standard in TV news over the years but I can’t say this of late about them. The NBN control room at QTQ and talent only studio sounds like it got off to a very ordinary start which is not how Nine’s projects usually went. Add to that the hack/crypto that caused a bit of inconvenience and its just not the industry leader it once was.

Although Seven also does advertorials I have not noted them to be as obtrusive as Nine’s are (obtrusive is good for advertisers though I suppose).
Nine also appear to have a higher journo turnover than in the past now.

1 Like

The sad thing is, in Brisbane the news that actually reports on real stories (10 and ABC) get lower viewers than Seven and Nine, who BOTH love sensationalist, infomercial-type stories. I remember reading that Brisbane was ABC’s worst market and also saw that 10 was lower in Brisbane as well. Meanwhile Nine and Seven are better in Brisbane. Maybe people who watch the news prefer sensationalist news stories over real ones.

It is a miracle the sensationalist news stories haven’t made it down the coast to Newcastle and NNSW, as QTQ basically controls production of NBN News. However in Melbourne we sometimes get sensationalist news stories like QTQ, but in a much more watered down format and less sensationalist looking promos.

4 Likes

Brief technical issue with Nine’s afternoon news in Queensland this afternoon.

13 Likes