Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

The rest of the Nine Network will rollout the new graphics in the New Year. Rest of Nine’s graphics have been around since January 27, 2014

3 Likes

I’m thinking a bit sooner than that. This Twitter reply I received yesterday might be of interest:

I suppose that the rollout of the Nine News relaunch will depend on whether everyone gets the refresh in one hit or if it’s done on a market by market basis. If all capital cities are getting the same sort of new set that Perth got, you’d think that we’ll soon be seeing some temporary presentation arrangements on screen for the markets who are not moving studios but are getting new sets for their 6pm bulletins.

While this really goes without saying, I really hope that Nine News Brisbane plans to upgrade to HD with this relaunch (although I certainly won’t be holding my breath over it). Imagine how embarrassing it would be for Brisbane to receive the relaunch complete with a new set but still with SD-only production and poorly downconverted graphics for the 6pm news! :confused:

EDIT: The tweet (which was originally publically posted I might add, I’ll never directly post stuff from locked accounts or DMs here) has since been deleted. I’ll remove the name to avoid trouble, but keep the content in.

4 Likes

Please refrain from posting unsourced claims and/or predictions.

7 Likes

Perth, Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne are all using HD for Nine News. Brisbane is stuck in 2006

1 Like

Brisbane will be the final station updated.

3 Likes

Just seen the set in person looking through the window and looks great. Couldn’t take a photo due to reflection but the studio space is little smaller than I thought, with the robot cameras I guess it’s the only way they can fit the set in. Other markets won’t have an issue with the size as it takes up most of the available space. Just had the normal Nine news background with the live shot and the panel graphics

1 Like

I Imagine that the basic design will remain standard across the various stations, They will just scale the size to suit available studio space.

1 Like

The new graphics look great and I look forward to seeing them rolled out across the rest of the network

The new opener also helps Nine finally differentiate their news opener from that of a certain regional broadcaster :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Although I would personally argue that the new look Nine News Perth has some striking similarities to the news graphics used by the network which this certain regional broadcaster is now affiliated with…

1 Like

I don’t understand why the bottom super isn’t all aligned. Eg the live bit isn’t aligned with he right. And when they do boxes the location isn’t centred or to the side of the screen. It is just floating.

2 Likes

The box location for the left box isn’t to the side of the screen because of safe areas. While not important for HD, they still apply for SD. SBS news has taken to ignoring safe areas and so their LIVE bug is half missing on their SD channel.
As someone who designs broadcast graphics as part of my work, I can understand the reason the lower third supers don’t line up. They have that red line between the main part of the super and the 9NEWS box (the white one that’s big, again because of safe areas). The top part of that red is part of the Live bug, but still visible even when the bug isn’t there. If the white parts lined up, it would look silly with that red line sitting above the super line. What they really should’ve done is just extended the red line all the way to the edge of the screen, or not had it there unless the live bug was visible (kind of like the blue one on the left of the supers, which is also red when there’s breaking news).

1 Like

or in other words, please don’t post ANYTHING to a forum… ffs.

1 Like

Went down to the studios this afternoon to be greeted by a large black curtain :anguished: take it they were broadcasting. But when can we see in?

2 Likes

Good article on the new Perth studio on NewscastStudio.com http://www.newscaststudio.com/2016/09/21/australias-9-news-invests-perth-station-facility-studio-upgrade/

4 Likes

October 9 - It’s time for Nine

9 Likes

Lock it in folks! :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s my completely outside view on that post from Read_It_First. The questions I raise here aren’t so much things I expect or demand to be answered (I can certainly understand if they can’t be answered!) but general thoughts, more than anything else…

*October 9 is a Sunday. As far as I’m aware, it’s usually only Nine News Sydney which has it’s regular presenting team on for the Sunday night bulletin. That of course leads to the question: Will it be “time for Nine” in all markets (excluding Perth) on October 9, or just in the single market where Nine always treats it’s Sunday night news bulletin as if it were a weekday broadcast?

*If it is indeed “time for Nine” in every non-Perth market on October 9, should we expect the usual weekday presenting teams to be on board for this, regardless of whether or not they usually present the 6pm news on Sunday nights?

*Exactly one week before this on October 2, Nine will be airing something that should bring in considerably more than the usual Sunday night number of eyeballs to the network (particularly in Sydney and Brisbane): the NRL Grand Final. Are we expecting this major promotional opportunity be taken advantage of by the network? I’m not sure about everyone else, but the “October 9: It’s time for Nine” line posted by Read_It_First certainly sounds very promotional to me…

1 Like

That sucks, I was there yesterday and the curtains were open. Sometimes it could be a news update, or something else. Actually looks like they were doing a behind the scenes thing for their FB page.

Finally saw the full screen graphics for the first time in Sport. Very white.

I am going to assume that will only be Nine News Sydney on that Sunday with the national graphics relaunch on Monday October 10 with the Early News. Whether or not Nine News Melbourne will receive a new set on Monday October 10, I am not sure. However, with what @Read_It_First said the other day, Nine News Queensland will be the last (excluding Nine Darwin, I would assume) to receive the new look so I am expecting November at the very earliest, more likely next year because they have to upgrade to HD too. @Read_It_First, will the sets be similar/replica of Nine News Perth’s here on the East coast?

Nine - It’s about time.

4 Likes