Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Tonight finance was a separate segment with Chris Kohler, much like ABC does:

14 Likes

Nine News Melbourne has been doing this for a while.

4 Likes

Interesting. 7news in Melb only has a finance report when itā€™s relevant. They donā€™t just do finance every night at the same time like the old days.

Chris trying to do a modern form of what his dad does maybe

5 Likes

Iā€™d say that Chris has added a lot to the Melbourne bulletin.
He now also presents the housing and auction report on Saturday nights, among his other stories throughout the week.

5 Likes

The F bomb appeared on screen -TWICE - on Nine News Sydney tonight.

I donā€™t know how they missed this.

10 Likes

Interested to hear some thoughts on Nineā€™s graphics now that it has been a good 2 months since the relaunch.

I do much prefer the cleanness of these graphics from the previous package.
The two-line logo has grown on me quite a bit too.

The only thing that really bothers me is the intro music still being very out of place. (Needs a new theme!).

Nine News Melbourne really should go back to the networkā€™s white theme on the set. The blue is alright, but it just stands out like a sore thumb for national bulletins.

Iā€™d also say that the bulletins need some new standardised voiceovers.

Some localisation in titlecards would be nice.
Regionals need a simpler backdrop too. (And to add, donā€™t zoom in so much on the presenters, but instead show off parts of the set like QLD.)

3 Likes

I find the openers/title cards to be far too simple. At least the previous package had some depth to it (even though it was just globes and rings swirling). They could easily re-design the curves and incorporate some globe element to it to enhance it.

I like the rest of the package though. Simple, clean, cohesive and very vibrant despite the choice of dark blue. I think it works quite well. Though they should still change ā€˜alertā€™ to updates. Alert just screams sensationalism.

5 Likes

The Sydney skyline shot behind Georgie was a lot tighter tonight. Iā€™m wondering if the ā€œbug boatsā€ operation underway in the harbour has something to do with that? Would the usual shot have been too much of a distraction for viewers?

Also, the daylight saving tease to the ad break had shots of clocks going forward instead of backwards. Confused the hell out of the person I was watching the news with.

1 Like

I think it looks a bit cartoony TBH and the ā€œswooshā€ sound effects for Live, Breaking and Exclusive cards seem really out of place.

I do like the new backdrops though.

1 Like

Looking back at what was Nineā€™s old graphics, the new ones are much of an improvement. Itā€™s clean and makes everything look much nicer, however as @Tom_TV7 said, the previous package had more depth. IMO I think the graphics on the live crosses could be improved, look somewhat out of shape (the old ones were better). And the backdrop on the Morning News and Early News arenā€™t better. They were much better when they had the old backdrop. Furthermore, @Tom_TV7 youā€™re right. Every time Alert appears in the form of a regular news update it does bug me. Apart from these suggestions, everything else looks a ton better.

2 Likes

Monday 6 April-

Early News bulletin didnā€™t air this morning due to Today starting earlier to broadcast the Queenā€™s Address on Coronavirus.

6 Likes

I still donā€™t like the new graphics. Nobody knows where 9 news is coming from or what area it represents. Thereā€™s no background pictures of the city / area the bulletin represents in the opening intro themes. The previous openers were so much better than the present ones.

Surely by now though viewers know what they are watching and where its based from.

4 Likes

And you would be able to find out from the headlines anyways, if the stories are relevant to your local area.

2 Likes

Although itā€™s nice to look at, Iā€™m pretty sure I donā€™t need photography of Sydney in the Opening Titles to figure out that Iā€™m watching Nine News Sydney.

4 Likes

Another countdown clock! 3 beaches are being closed on the Gold Coast (rest remain open).

8 Likes

Join the Care Army - nightly on 9 News Brisbane

5 Likes

Can we get a countdown clock for when the countdown clock gets its own show?

14 Likes

Is it a countdown or countup clock? Iā€™d like to see some counting up.

2 Likes

Surely enough demand for Nine to continue a late news past coronavirus. Sunday - Thursday. 30 minutes at 9:30pm. Would have to out rate whatever is usually on. Doubt the 6pm newsreader will want you hang around for it though.

3 Likes