Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Surprised then that it’s not an ALDI logo!

5 Likes

Has always been. Energex has sponsored Nine’s warnings in SEQ for yonks.

5 Likes

Just seems a bit off (profiting off of people’s loss etc)

1 Like

Well, no one has lost anything before the storm has hit, which is when this alert has gone out.

Energex is a state-owned power company, so their motivation to sponsor the notice is probably more to give Nine a profit-motive to alert people that a storm is coming. I don’t think Nine sends out alerts in Sydney or Melbourne for storm warnings? There’s also the added benefit of implicitly reinforcing Energex’s “be safe around fallen powerlines” message.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve seen a storm warning on any television channel in Sydney for many years now. Last time would’ve been on Seven maybe around the mid-late 2000s.

3 Likes

I think you have it right.

1 Like

Assuming Sydney is receiving a new Nine News set in the coming months, I’m expecting the other capital cities will follow afterwards - so there might not be much point replacing it?

1 Like

What about the just over a month old graphics package? Are we assuming that will be used for somewhere between two and four years like most post-2000 branding packages for Nine’s news?

1 Like

What?

I’m talking about the sets. Considering North Sydney move is happening over the next few months, you would assume they would receive a new set to match the new graphics package?

There isn’t much point replacing components of the current set to match the package if they are making new sets.

1 Like

New doesn’t always mean different

They might repeat what they did in Adelaide in 2015 when NWS moved - built a brand new news set which was … identical to the old one. (And then replaced with yet another brand new set only 18 months later)

7 Likes

Yes, there isn’t really a need for major changes. I would like to see a new desk however. They can easily recycle the displays into the new set, they aren’t cheap to throw away.

1 Like

I think what you’ll see is better Updated technology. A studio set and control room
Built in 2020 is going to be capable of a lot more than one built 59 years ago

7 Likes

I don’t know if they acually did build a replica set. I could’ve sworn I saw one of their reports about the move that Brenton or Kate mentioned that the set was moved from Tynte Street to Pirie Street over the weekend of the final move. I think I remember them using a temporary set-up that weekend (no studio shots) while the set was moved.

6 Likes

Yep it was definitely moved, there were videos of it being transported to the new Adelaide location.

Definitely think that they don’t need a new set just yet. The current one hasn’t aged at all and still aligns to the brand.

But I think we will see extensions onto the Sydney set (similar to ABC Melbourne).

6 Likes

Can easily see this being the case - laying the groundwork for a proper multipurpose area.

2 Likes

IMO, once the move into North Sydney takes place, the Nine News Sydney set could also be used for Today, which would also use the weather wall as seen at 6:00pm, as well as any in-studio sporting telecasts (such as when Todd Woodbridge hosted Nine’s Ashes coverage from the Nine News Melbourne set last year) and much more.

1 Like

If Nine plans to keep the current Studio 1 news set for North Sydney, I personally wouldn’t be overly surprised if the two side videowalls are removed (I guess leaving the set looking similar to QTQ’s) since they’re rarely ever used on-air.

1 Like

I know! Too much blue…

4 Likes

Don’t know how long it’s been happening but Melbourne just had a “preview” in HotSeat.
Pete, Lavinia and Tony all standing in front of the set with Pete starting with headline previews, followed by sport and then Lavinia with a weather preview.
Interesting! Didn’t look too bad IMO

4 Likes

Nine just did what looked like a live update from the Wallan train crash with Carrie Anne Greenback. No graphics.

2 Likes