Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Here in Sydney at least, I’m pretty sure Nine has been packaging news reports in HD for years while promos (outside of those included in bulletins/news updates) and live crosses became HD around mid-2016 IIRC.

As far as I’m aware, Nine is currently the only Australian network to be producing HD reports and live crosses for their news bulletins.

Seven & Ten only have live camera footage/graphics + the occasional live cross in HD on their Sydney/national bulletins, SBS only has studio/graphics elements in HD while ABC News is an entirely SD production…I think.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, really interesting. Obviously not the best reason to decide on what news to watch, but with the size of screens now it does make a fair difference…

1 Like
5 Likes

Afternoon News bulletin running during rain delay in the cricket:

10 Likes
7 Likes

Did anyone else catch the start of the Brisbane news tonight? Gold Coast news graphics, which were eventually corrected during the first story. No voiceover of the headlines (just music) until close to the end of the intro. It’s as if the work experience kids are running the bulletin.

7 Likes

Was just about to post about that ^^

2 Likes

Geez, that sounds like a major blooper. Wonder if Media Spy’s resident South East Queensland correspondent TV Cynic managed to capture it?

Also, welcome to the forums @jess_c88! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nine News “Brisbane” opener

14 Likes

Video includes news update that was OK at 5:58. The Brisbane news opening also cut across the ending of the (real) Gold Coast News.

9 Likes

The “same-studio-control-room” problems when GC and Brisbane news were merged control.

1 Like

The final GC bulletin of the year - Dominique Loudon’s closing comments cut off by the start of the Brisbane bulletin.

5 Likes

Could’ve been a presentation issue more than a control room issue?

How come Sydney has reverted to the standard title card? (IMO it’s much better than the new Afternoon News card)

2 Likes

Because that’s not a local bulletin.

Yes, I think Nine are running a national (or semi-national?) Afternoon News during the Summer holiday period because of the cricket coverage and/or reduced resources in some states at this time of year.

1 Like

Current ‘See it First’ promo running in Melbourne at the moment:

7 Likes

Semi-national, cause Melbourne stood as the last man standing for the local afternoon news run during summer.

1 Like

What was the point of this exercise?

Seems to be another variation of reporter walking towards camera :confused: