Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Some caps of Nine News Sydney at 4pm from yesterday afternoon:

6 Likes

Nine News Adelaide just cut over to “network coverage” for Schapelle Corby updates

Not sure where its coming from, Sydney?

Edit: yes, they have cut over to Sydney.

1 Like

I took this pic from Nine New Sydney during the 6pm news…

It had a ‘live’ breakout shot from Bali on the right (as seen below) for much of the bulletin.

A bit of overkill if you ask me.

2 Likes

For rolling coverage, I think it is appropriate. During the standard 6pm News which has little relevance to Sydney viewers, yes, it’s OTT.

4 Likes

Graphics fail from the Sports segment on tonight’s Nine News Sydney, showing the Parramatta Eels in 9th and 16th spot on the NRL ladder! :open_mouth:

5 Likes

That’s because the Newcastle Knights have been going so badly over the last 3 years or so, that they’ve sacked their entire first grade squad (rather than just the coach as usually happens) and in their place, they’ve recruited the Eels NSW Cup team…

6 Likes

Brisbane promo

In the lead-up to State Of Origin Game 1 on Wednesday night, Nine News Sydney, Queensland and Gold Coast have again changed the colours of their social media display pictures to support the home team!

5 Likes

Special edition of Queensland’s Nine Morning News extended to cover yesterday’s police shooting near Gatton with gunman shot dead this morning (finished at 12:10pm).

7 Likes

Ugh. You’re supposed to be news organisations not cheerleaders.

1 Like

Oh ok

3 Likes

Not everything has to be doom and gloom lol

3 Likes

News conference

They are media organisations that should be expected to hold people to account/ask difficult questions when needed. While it may just be sport, nailing your colours to the mast in a show of parochialism endangers your ability to do that with credibility and integrity imo.

1 Like

Yes they are media organisations, however they are also out there with their communities. With lots of their viewers avid rugby league fanatics. I also believe that modifying the colour scheme in their logo would not damage their credibility, however in saying that, if they were to add someone with a footy into the logo - that would probably be cause for concern.

And like I said, it doesn’t have to all be doom and gloom.

5 Likes

In general, Sports coverage on Australia’s TV news bulletins (especially local bulletins) has long been very parochial and local favourites/home team-centric.

To some extent, the networks have also long held a preference towards the sports they have the broadcast rights to in their coverage of sports news. Especially in this day and age when the TV networks pay North of $1 Billion to have the broadcast rights for football, it’s totally understandable that they’d want to get heavily involved with their investment.

If Nine News promoted themselves on-air as “Sydney’s Official NRL News” or something, that would probably be worrying. But a slight recolouring of the logo (especially the sky blue Sydney version which is only subtly different to the normal version) probably isn’t going to damage their credibility much, especially if it’s only used on social media.

In any case, I’d personally be much more concerned if one of the TV networks played favourites in something serious like their political coverage, rather than showing their support for the local team in the State Of Origin or a football grand final where there’s a local & interstate team.

5 Likes

If anything, it shows that they are in touch with their local audience.

4 Likes

9 Likes

It’s sport. It is patriotic. It isn’t a court story or crime scene.

2 Likes

Fans are patriotic. Players are patriotic. Coaches are patriotic. Media organisations should hold themselves to slightly higher standards. It’s not as ‘serious’ as a murder story (and is ‘just a game’), but some journalistic/media standards should be upheld.

Having said that, it’s nowhere near as bad as FM radio sports news which has an intolerable usage of ‘our boys’ when referring to a local sports story.

1 Like