Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Even on Monday will be great!

Agree. Whilst the new backdrops aren’t awful, I think they are far from as classy as the newsroom was. I imagine this change, as @SydneyCityTV was suggesting, is apart of rebranding of the network and apart of the advancements in technology.

2 Likes

Some caps of Sydney’s Afternoon News with the cross to sport, in response to the posts above:

Also a lighting blooper later on in the bulletin.

17 Likes

While I agree that Studio 1 should be used for more than just the Sydney 6pm news, my guess is that it’d require more resources to utilise Studio 1 (Sydney News set) that early in the day (1-3pm) just for the “coming up at 6” promos.
The TOSS requires less resources thus making it more efficient and less hassle. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Don’t quote me on this but I’m pretty sure that Sydney’s earlier afternoon updates (1pm, 2pm, 3.30pm during Nine News Now) would come from Studio 23 or another smaller set, while anything after about 4pm with the Sydney liveshot background is presented from the main set.

As it’s been said before, Studio 21 might occupied with other productions during the day like the infomercials for Today Extra. So if that’s the case, it may explain why Nine News Sydney at 4pm and the national bulletins get produced from either Studios 23 or 24.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how much more resources it would require considering it is automated…?

1 Like
  • At least 1 floor crew member to bump-in the set (take covers of desk, plasma & cameras, clean the desk & floors, prepare IFB & mic for presenter)
  • Lighting director
  • Sound engineer
  • Vision switcher/cam operator (could potentially be done by the director)
  • Autocue operator (although the autocue could I suppose be operated by the presenter)
  • A director.
4 Likes

Have you been following this thread at all? The news exchange set is becoming disused in favour of the ACA set for the national bulletins.

Indeed, I have been following :laughing: and as I’m sure you already know, the “News Exchange” set IS the SAME set used for A Current Affair just with the desk rotated around 90 degrees.
Studio 3 as it’s know as is home to Early News, Today Extra, Nine News Now, Afternoon News & ACA - a busy little studio :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

The current setup isn’t ideal but Nine are probably in limp mode ahead of their move to North Sydney.

Ideally the new building will have one set for the proper news bulletins and then another designed specifically for Extra/Now/ACA with the big curved screen, track cameras etc. It will be interesting to see if Today gets shoehorned into a fully automated studio as well.

3 Likes

The plans show that there will still be a larger studio with facilities for audience etc, similar to studio 22 now, so I’d imagine Today would stay using that along with the Footy Show etc.

2 Likes

not with Nine’s use of Mosart.

There would be a floor manager, a pilot, a co-pilot and a producer. that’s it for the whole studio & control.

I could see them using both the upstairs and downstairs spaces (like GMA does/did). Have the desk upstairs with fixed track cameras and the whole automated shebang and then use the lower level for everything else. There will be stairs/lift directly between the main upstairs studio and the production studio so it wouldn’t be hard to move between them and then Today can finish off downstairs with Extra using the desk upstairs.

Just a thought. Should allow them to shed a decent number of floor crew without compromising the content (like it has, IMO, on Extra).

2 Likes

I believe advertorials are basically all done off site in a close by Sydney studio not owned by 9.

2 Likes

Studio 1 - Mosart - 6pm News
Studio 2 - Today, Footy Show, Sunday sport shows
Studio 3 - Mosart - 5am News, Today Extra, 9 News Now, Afternoon News, ACA
Studio 4 - Mosart - Regional news, Morning news

2 Likes

Isn’t it referred to as Studio 22?

A good get by Media Watch last weekend.

7 and 9 both claiming they found a fugitive.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4669471.htm

Does anyone know who really found him? My guess they were both at the scene at the same time and one of the reporters found the man seconds before the other reporter…

Yes probably is. I think the names may be interchangeable.

I watched 9 Queensland’s report and I daresay it was one of the worst news packages I’ve ever seen. They even recorded their reporter with a microphone on the phone to the Police to prove that they did call. :rolling_eyes:

Yeah either or. I believe that the 2 at the front is determined by the station’s location.

1 Like

Re-enactment from Nine - terribly fake a you say

Not sure about Seven; perhaps the acting was better, but it seemed legit.

Both reporters can be seen on the phone to police at the same time

2 Likes

Some shots from yesterdays afternoon news, I do like the ad play ons of the wide shot but still don’t like the backdrop (still prefer news exchange) and the way they put the presenters on an angle doesn’t look nice IMO.

14 Likes