Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

“And remember kids, join the Hitler Youth and you can Sieg Heil like Wally too!”

7 Likes

New closer… here in Sydney.

15 Likes

Inconsistent use of the logo, with the 2008-09 font for “NEWS”! :confused:

5 Likes
5 Likes

New Perth titlecard featuring ‘Thommo’

5 Likes

A fair evaluation there. I just hope he makes the changes.

2 Likes

I daresay Pete is probably used to this sort of thing by now!

For better or worse, I can’t see Sydney’s most watched local news taking many ideas from Sydney’s least watched local news anytime soon.

I personally would’ve thought the cameras at Ten Sydney (presuming that’s who you’re referring to) might be automated TBH.

Although I can’t argue that Nine never should’ve automated the cameras - there were considerably better/more fluid on-air angles prior to the change. Things went quite flat after that, although there was a slight improvement when the newer robotic cameras were installed for the current set.

1 Like

How many viewers doesn’t relate to the production quality of a news bulletin. All im saying is Ten and Nine both use automation and Ten don’t have problems like Nine.

2 Likes

I’m well aware of that, and I’m certainly not trying to make a direct link between the two.

For what it’s worth, I personally think the production standards of news at both Nine and Ten have their individual strengths and weaknesses. I also don’t think you can properly compare the news services of Nine and Ten in general - the flagship evening bulletins of both have different timeslots, budgets, priorities, etc.

I’m well aware at what you are saying too but what I’m saying is they both use the mosart automation and 1 has more problems than the other. Not comparing who does what.

3 Likes

I actually agree with your point, regardless of what news service they are or how many hours of news they produce, its fair to say that Nine has staff that clearly don’t know how to operate the mosart system, as i have said before if you go onto youtube and time in Nine News Sydney bloopers or technical issues a whole list will appear.

1 Like

Caps of Adelaide bulletins today.
4pm News

6pm News

6 Likes

Will doesn’t usually host on Thursdays, wonder if it’s to do with the election.

I think you also have to look at the complexity of the bulletin. Nine have a lot of stuff going on for the automation to cue up, roll, move, zoom, light, audio etc… they have supers over everything, transitions galore.

Ten, by comparison, is very simplistic and therefore has less chance of things going wrong. Clearly the producers at Ten accepted the change in abilities whereas Nine haven’t.

Recently a quarter frame graphic failed to load for Ten Brisbane because of the elements previously, and the Brisbane mixing desk that Mosart controls can’t handle an OTS straight after whatever it was.

Darren Wick on re-instating the late news:

1 Like

Really, The Verdict failed because it was terrible TV and it had Stefanovic as the host with obnoxious panelists. Enough said.

Regarding late news, I don’t think anyone’s gonna jump on it anytime soon because networks have no interest in whatever’s being aired after their reality shows.

6 Likes

We keep hearing talk of Seven and Nine developing late night news/magazine formats but they never seem to get off the ground. At one stage Seven was going to revive Newsworld and had producers working on segments for it. The pilot can’t have been much good because the idea was quickly dropped.

2 Likes

The Verdict was a poor man’s Q&A hosted by Karl Stefanovic with people like Mark Latham as regular panellists. I can’t imagine why viewers didn’t find that particularly appealing…

The thing that would set a late commercial need bulletin apart from ABC News, etc is local news. They should condense the 1 hour 6pm bulletin into 30 minutes. Good opportunity for reporters to get presentation experience too.

1 Like

Really if Nine want a similar magazine type late news program probably move Nine News Now to a later schedule… and scrap some of the segments that wouldn’t work for a late night bulletin.