Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Is Nine News: Live at Five back yet?

Nope, won’t be for another 2 weeks with the cricket on this and next weekend.

1 Like

My bet is Samantha Heathwood with David McLenaghan for sport in Queensland. Given his rather sudden departure from WIN, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him pop up on SCA9.

3 Likes

[quote=“CQtvNetwork, post:1748, topic:67, full:true”]
My bet is Samantha Heathwood with David McLenaghan for sport in Queensland. Given his rather sudden departure from WIN, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him pop up on SCA9.
[/quote] Agree, but that would be if there was a separate local bulletin (maybe it could go at 5.30 like 9 News Gold Coast). Many suggest it might be a composite bulletin with a local insert (which is what I am hoping for). What I really don’t want is for us in regional QLD not to see Nine News Brisbane at all.

BTW, Ironically, both Heathwood and McLenaghan presented alongside Paul Taylor on Win News, but at different times.

Nine, and Seven for that matter do that with regional QLD all the time.

As far as they’re concerned anywhere north of Brisbane is “Far North QLD”, when in fact the area that is actually Far North QLD is the area right up near Cairns.

During the election campaign, I was in Rockhampton at the same time as when the PM was visiting and all the journos on TV we’re saying “we’re here in Far North QLD”, when in fact they were on the southern side of Central QLD, a good 1000km away from Far North QLD.

I also used to live in Mackay, which is known as QLD’s Central Coast area. Again, anytime anything happens there “Far North QLD”.

Really annoys me when they keep doing that all the time.

6 Likes

Samantha Heathwood - Queensland
Jo Hall - Victoria
Vanessa O’Hanlon - New South Wales

13 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Nine News Regional

I wonder if these bulletins will coincide with the launch of the new sets in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. It could be one of the reasons behind having a staged rollout.

3 Likes

IMO, any of the newer look sets & graphics for Nine News most likely would’ve been made with the new regional news services in mind.

Perth was probably chosen as the first market not only because of their new studios, but also to see if something like the sharing of the set for Today Perth News & the 6pm bulletin is a concept that could possibly work elsewhere.

1 Like

Maybe 9 are planning to keep their old (current) sets around and use those to present the new regional news?

3 Likes

Yeah would seem like a good idea, as these sets are old and regional sets do tend to look ‘dated’. But in saying tbat, I think they’ll suit a regional bulletin better

2 Likes

That could be the case if the newer sets are built in bigger studios (but wouldn’t happen in all markets). Give the old sets a bit of a scrub-up :stuck_out_tongue:

But then again, I’m sure 9 would want to give their regional bulletins a modern and sleek feel to match the new sets :wink:

1 Like

Nine regional news is being produced in the capitals so it wouldn’t be hard to replicate the newer set in a streamlined format in a different studio surely.

1 Like

Perth and Adelaide’s previous sets scrubbed up alright after a bit of a makeover.

3 Likes

Nine News in eastern DST states being extended due to delayed tea break?

Edit: Looks like they didn’t bother returning to the cricket and left it on 9Gem.

1 Like

I think the regional bulletins will be presented from the same studio and set as the metro bulletin.
Reprts are indicating that it will take the format of being a local window built into the capital city bulletin - be it a window that replaces the content between the 2nd and 3rd ad breaks like what NBN do, or starting with the local window, then going to an edited version of the capital city bulletin, similar to what 7Qld and Prime Albury do (though not necessarily a 30/30 minute split).

In that case, I think we could see the local segments pre-recorded during the day using the main set (and they will have to be prerecorded given that we know they are using a single presenter for each state), leaving the set then free for the 6pm bulletin live. The main set are used for a few small recordings of news breaks during the afternoon, and these could possibly be fitting in around the recording of the regional news, or they could use the single presenter booths for them.

I think this is the most likely outcome as it means that nothing is duplicated by having multiple presenters read the same story, they don’t need to staff 2 different studios and it keeps the look and feel of the news consistent.

6 Likes

Agree. I would also think that a pre-recorded cross to and/or from the local news back to the main presenter is necessary.

1 Like

No sure how that would work in Brisbane with the current set up of the 4.00-5.30 local news. Could they produce the regional bulletins from the Gold Coast studio?

2 Likes

US Election Special tonight at 10:45pm

1 Like

Who is presenting?

1 Like