Nine News and Current Affairs

Oh yeah that’s right, the afternoon news already occupies the slot, I forgot about that. It would be a nice alternative if either network used the THISafternoon format as a point of difference to the usual 4pm bulletins.

Couldn’t we classify Nine News Now as an alternative? As it had a less formal approach

1 Like

The Today Show on 20 September 2006 just before the live broadcast of the memorial service for Steve Irwin.

12 Likes

National Nine Newsbreak Update Adelaide - 3/9/1989

4 Likes
7 Likes

Was that Chris Urquhart on news? Or was that someone else?

Also LOL at seeing Chris Smith presenting a straight news bulletin. Can’t imagine him fronting one of those these days.

2 Likes

Bit hard to tell due to the poor quality video, but it may have been Chris Smith?

1 Like

Hard to imagine this is the same guy that presents two opinion shows on Sky News and weekends on 2GB. Hardly a credible commentator who’ll probably never see the daylights of presenting a straight bulletin.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware, Chris Smith was still presenting afternoons on 2GB during those five and a half months he was co-presenting National Nine Early News with Sharyn Ghidella.

Nonetheless, it’s unlikely that you’d see Chris Smith present a straight news bulletin nowadays!

2 Likes

Such a mismatch with the on-air presentation. The orchestral theme sounded extremely pompous versus the light-style presentation they went for.

6 Likes

2006 was a much needed revamp. The previous package was too dark.

1 Like

End board for National Nine News Perth 2008.

Newsbreak from 22nd September 1984:

1 Like

National Nine News Adelaide - SA Blackout Updates 3/9/1989

1 Like

“Channel Nine News” Perth Newsbreak with Anne Conti - 1986

12 Likes

Wow. That’s a pretty big newsroom set. Anymore information on it?

2 Likes

How Nine News Sydney covered the passing of Kerry Packer:

Credit to idents.tv for the recording (which is a great website and worth checking out, btw)!

1 Like

Well just the opener.

1 Like

Found this Today opener from 6 August 2004 amongst my old digital TV recordings:

13 Likes

I like this opener, even though the show was falling in the ratings.

2 Likes