Nine News and Current Affairs

This is the place for info and clips related to Nine News and Current Affairs through the years. We’ll start with arguably their best known national figure.

A Current Affair with Jana Wendt 1988

1 Like

Nightline with Tracy Bell 1987

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but what ever happened to Mike London? He presented regularly for various Channel 9 bulletins for a number of years but resigned maybe late 90s/early 2000’s after a complaints scandal. I don’t think we’ve heard of him since?

Your thread title is misleading. News Centre Nine was only the format in 1976.

3 Likes

The more you know.

2014 Updates with Libby Stone. Her short stint in Perth. Not with Nine anymore i think she’s now in Home design

5 Likes

I stumbled across this on an SMH archives search. Nine News legend Brian Henderson having a criminal record is a revelation to me. :grinning:

SMH, 22 July 1958.

4 Likes

In November 1974 News Centre Nine had a technical meltdown. The Sun-Herald television writer Allen Glover asked why Nine didn’t have a back-up plan.

Source: The Sun-Herald, 24 Nov 1974

4 Likes

Worth posting again in honour of Tommy Raudonikis.

1 Like

2 Likes
6 Likes

Some vintage Today Show. I’ll upload the opener at some point. Absolutely awful music.

20 Likes

That Promo Endtag (Cap #3) was horrendous. Certainly by today’s standards, but even for the time…

2 Likes

Right. Who’s ready for something truly awful?

2005’s Today show.

13 Likes

Truly awful.

Thankfully the music was eventually improved (somewhat):

2 Likes

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

This was a time when the Today Show was taking a massive hit from Sunrise. Changes were being implemented all the time from 2004-2008.

4 Likes

National Nine News Melbourne 2006

13 Likes

This intro music and VO didn’t last long, did it? GTV reverted back to the previous theme pretty quickly, if I remember correctly.

4 Likes