Nine Network 2023

Won’t post the full details since they’ll be included in the press release TV Cynic will post later. However, Nine will be showing the FINA World Short Course Swimming Championships (which will be in Melbourne in December) and the FINA World Swimming Championships in Japan next July.

2 Likes

Underwhelming

1 Like

Michael Stephenson, Chief Sales Officer.

2 Likes

They aren’t targeting you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: it’s for the advertisers. We have to the remember this.

2 Likes

Swimming back home on Nine/Stan which is good news for the sport

2 Likes

Aren’t they though? We are still viewers and nothing announced competes with Disney+ and Streaming.

Nine’s commitment to the Tasmania bulletin will become evident when they announce how many local journos will be working on the bulletin, if they’re willing to attract a top newsreader to present the bulletin and if they’re willing to invest in studio space and a set that is bigger than the broom cupboard set ups they have for Darwin and the old local bulletins. 7 Tasmania viewers are fairly rusted on at this point so it’ll require patience, marketing and significant outlay to make an impact.

You have to wonder if Seven will come to an arrangement with SCA to take over their Tas bulletin now Nine is doing this. Puts Ten to shame when Nine can do this in an affiliate market and Ten can’t for much bigger markets…

11 Likes

No mention of their cash cow and highest rating regional News though. Hmmm.

It’s only for FINA events. Amazon Prime’s contract with Swimming Australia has just expired, so Nine/Stan could be interested in picking up the rights too.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Nine really have some rubbish shows don’t they.

5 Likes

They’re saying more swimming so it could happen

1 Like

These events are for advertisers. If they were putting this on for you it’d be broadcast at 7pm.

I don’t get what you expect? You can’t compare Nine to Disney+ that’s a stupid comparison and a silly comment. They are completely different companies.

Are you expecting them to announce they are adding 50 new series to 9now as originals and become a world wide streaming service?

No of course not. Just more variety.

Nothing fantastic to see here. Looks pretty ordinary to me.

3 Likes

Can’t blame them if they have dumped Celebrity Apprentice but I’m surprised that Ninja or Beauty and the Geek aren’t returning. They both seem to have performed solidly compared to Apprentice.

2 Likes

Yes, the upfront itself is for the advertisers. However, the content announcements are for both advertisers and (ultimately) viewers. Regarding the latter, David is right - the content announcements Nine made today were mostly underwhelming.

While that’s frankly typical of upfronts (where the hype never lives up to what gets announced), it doesn’t change the fact that there’s not really a lot about Nine’s 2023 lineup to get excited about at this stage.

2 Likes

Channel Nine 2023, also known as Channel 4 Australia.

Apart from MAFS, The Block, Lego Masters and maybe Travel Guides, I don’t see anything on their slate that could deliver a killer blow to the other networks. At least with the likes of Ninja and Beauty and the Geek they have a solid audience base. Lots of unknowns going into next year for Nine despite their optimism.

Whilst it’s good they have taken risks unfortunately I don’t think all of them will pay off.

4 Likes