Nine Network 2021

Discussion of Nine Network program plans for 2021, with a virtual upfront to be held at 3pm AEST today (September 16).

2 Likes

COVID-19 has disrupted programming for networks around the world and Nine is no exception. The network is fortunate to have at least two shows in the can (Travel Guides which was postponed from this year, and Lego Masters which will start filming in October). Nature documentary Great Barrier Reef should be also ready for debut next year.
The loss of The Voice to Seven will put a big hole on its mid-year schedule, it will be interesting to see which show will replace it.

These are the shows confirmed so far for next year.

New:
Dream Homes Revealed with Jennifer Hawkins (9Life)
Country House Hunters
Under Investigation
Great Barrier Reef (?)

Returning:
Married at First Sight
Travel Guides
Lego Masters
Australian Ninja Warrior
The Block
TV Week Logie Awards
Australian Open
NRL / State of Origin
Netball

3 Likes

Nine has confirmed there will be new shows in Drama, Entertainment

3 Likes

I think The Block would belong in this category as well.

The Celebrity Apprentice most likely, or they’ll surprise us with a new format.

5 Likes

Even though the 2021 upfront is not streamed live to the public, Nine is providing regular updates on social media. Note the hashtag.

2 Likes

Why are they not doing so this year?

It’s a trade event I think.

From TV Tonight;

• Alan Sugar (from UK version) to front Celebrity Apprentice.
  • Sophie Monk to host Beauty & the Geek.
  • Jo Frost to front The Parent Jury.
  • Celebrity IOU Australia.
  • Kate Jenkinson, Sigrid Thornton in new drama Amazing Grace.
1 Like

Another show to switch networks - six seasons aired on Seven from 2009 to 2014, produced by Endemol Shine Australia. Will have to wait for press release to see if Nine will retain ESA as production company.

1 Like

Absolutely shocking decision we have perfectly capable people to do it within Australia. I’m officially out.

Beauty and the geek is a great pick up in my opinion.

4 Likes

Isn’t it similar to The Hothouse on Ten in 2004?

1 Like

Feel Nine are going to make the same mistake Seven did with Hell’s Kitchen in that while a ‘regular’ edition might do okayish, a celebrity version will flop and flop hard.

2 Likes

Issue is the celebrity version is a known success for 9. Whereas the normal version wasn’t so for them.

2 Likes

During a pandemic when Australians are struggling to find work going with two news hosts for overseas just doesn’t sit well with me.

2 Likes

Wonder what Liz Hayes is gonna do about 60 Minutes now she has Under Investigaton?

It’s now coming to Nine next year.
https://twitter.com/Channel9/status/1306107434902065153

1 Like

What does everyone think of Nine’s programming announced so far for 2021? I reckon it’s more of the same, with a few more reality shows added. Only four shows (Beach House Escape, Mega Zoo, Amazing Grace and Under Investigation) can be considered brand new.
Apart from a few additions to 9Now, there was a lack of announcements about overseas acquisitions. Maybe Nine will make one later?
I also notice that half of today’s virtual upfront was spent on Nine’s marketing strategies including a new partnership with Adobe.

2 Likes

Did Paramedics get renewed?

1 Like

Yes it was renewed.

1 Like