Nine Network 2019

Looking ahead to Nine post the merger with Fairfax? :smile:

That’s interesting, I don’t remember it at all… mind you I was very young in the 70s you’re obviously quite old…

I don’t acuraly recall seeing test patterns although I know they were there and I presume they would have been shown just before Commander Strong Arm and the Super Flying Fun Show… now who’s old? :sunglasses:

BBC documentary ABBA: LET THE MUSIC SPEAK

2 Likes

Can’t say I’m impressed sadly. All networks seem to rely on a few shows to keep their 7:30 slot afloat. Wish there was a bit of variety on the 7:30 slot instead of stripped realities.

Good to see the drama department beefed up though, Seven would be jealous of their drama right now, and they’ll definitely have to pull some hat trick out of the bag at their upfronts if they want to stay number 1.

I think these shows should be enough to keep Nine at least in No.2 position for next year.

3 Likes

Be wise to start with the new season, previous content from season 1 & 2 is on YouTube

At least one thing I learned while watching Nine’s 2019 Upfronts presentation is that the promotional reels produced for the benefit of advertisers are even more overhyped than the promos shown to the general public on TV! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If either network happened to be streaming the presentation, would Seven Network & ABC News legal teams have been on the phone? :wink:

These quotes from the press release were hilarious:

Brisbane? You guys have lost to Seven in that market for 2018! :confused:

I’m sorry, but all of that is a no from me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Things I’m sure we were all disappointed to hear…

I also can’t believe that Millionaire Hot Seat is returning - that program really should’ve been cancelled at the end of 2016 IMO. Except for the couple of occasions I’ve spotted people I know from social media on the program as contestants, I’ve lost a tonne of interest since the $1 Million went off + the later move to a full hour. The “Fastest Finger” segment & Eddie McGuire going on about contestant back stories bores me like you wouldn’t believe.

Is it at all possible that Nine might even be doing a local/Australian version of World of Dance? The US version probably won’t rate all that well here unless it’s used as “filler” after the local franchises or something IMO.

1 Like

I suppose if you total Syd + Mel + Bris - Nine are in front; but you could also say in the combined AFL states … Seven are in front.

2 Likes

Was there any mention of the Sophie Monk travel show?

I have the same overarching takeaway about Nine’s upfront today as I felt about Seven’s upfront last year - they failed to address the major issue with their schedule. As I talked about earlier today, Nine has significant deficiencies with their schedule/programming strategy in that outside MAFS and The Block - their other ‘tentpole’ and ‘supporting’ programs have/are either declining or underperformed. Nothing they announced today either supports the momentum generated by MAFS and The Block nor provides a ‘safety net’ if one of their established programs (ie; The Voice, ANW or FFF) declines further. They also didn’t address the other major problem they have - the mess that is the Today Show…

As others have said, it’s great that Nine has an emphasis on Australian drama (even though it only consisted of one truly new program) and their plans for the Australian Open sound interesting (though will reserve judgment until I see their coverage). However, the upfront overall was underwhelming with a lot of focus being on things that were previously announced and not enough on what they plan to do to address their problems

5 Likes

What do you expect them to say “we make stuff up and aren’t trustworthy.” They are selling their product to their buyers. They have to BS out their asses. We all do it. I crap loads of shit if I am going on a job interview.

1 Like

Maybe she’s just joining Getaway.

But they didn’t say they won in those individual cities they said combined…

1 Like

There was a court case in Perth in 1999…Seven was unhappy with Nine claiming to have “Perth’s leading hour of news and current affairs” when Seven had the highest rating news in the market.

What followed was lengthy debate about the meaning of the word “leading”.

If I recall correctly the case was dismissed as “leading” could have many meanings particularly in publicity terms. (If I’m wrong about this let me know)

4 Likes

Correct, in the same way Seven can say it’s Australia’s number one news even though it loses in the 2 biggest markets.

The video regarding the controversy between Seven and Nine Perth: (courtesy matt01video on YouTube)

2 Likes

This is a very ordinary line up. It’s hard to see the Voice or Ninja improving upon 2018 numbers. I don’t expect any miracles from FFF. Unsure about Seachange, but I imagine it will skew old.
I think we need Bad Mothers as much as we need a toothache. The Lego Masters seems niche. It may have novelty value like the first season of Ninja. I won’t be watching much of Nine in 2019.

2 Likes

Spot on but is it fair to point out Nine claim to be #1 in 25-54s, grocery buyers and 16-39s? So if that’s true (which I suspect it is), why break with what’s working and mix it up too much?

No mention of any programs for 9Go, 9Gem or 9Life - were they mentioned at all apart from Lust Island moving?

2 Likes

I think this is a pretty good lineup overall for 2019. I think their key “tentpole” shows like Voice, ANW, Block and MAFS will do as well next year as they did this year. The move to Melbourne for ANW should help – it’s helped Masterchef recover when it was losing viewers. Strange decisions on some of the pickups of the US shows. Do Nine really expect New Amersterdam to do perform well?

Shows like Hamish & Andy, This Time Next Year and the Cricket in winter should be strong ratings performers.

The biggest risk is moving Love Island onto the main channel.

1 Like

I would think Nine will be a better year for 2019.

• State of Origin at Optus Stadium can boost ratings even further up for Perth and will without a doubt double ratings over Masterchef during that night.
  • Tennis (normally played during non-ratings season) will see numbers go up in Melbourne and Sydney and could have an opportunity to win the summer ratings period.
  • Having different contestants on NInja Warrior.
  • 9Now to overtake 7Plus and become Number 1 online catch up shows in terms of streaming numbers.
  • channel 9 will have a YouTube channel called 9Tennis - Hopman Cup, Brisbane International and Australians open.
  • Channel 9 perth will have more local content.
  • I am hoping Channel 9 Perth will pull in a better prime time audience share.