Nine Network 2017

The word is plans for the show were shelved for unknown reasons just before production was to commence, read into that how you will.

Good. One show that wonā€™t be clogging up the schedule I guess. :wink:

Anyone know any more about this new cooking show for 2017?

Couldnā€™t Hot Plate return, itā€™s not like it rated terribly?

Cooking realities are still massive, shown by the performance of MKR & MasterChef, even The Great Australian Bake Off on Foxtel.

RUMOUR:

NB/
Ch 9 have a big hole during the first few months each year & I canā€™t see that getting any better. Thereā€™s also a weak period between later stages of The Voice & The Block starting. Fridays and Saturdays also seem weak. Then thereā€™s the declining 6pm news & itā€™s poor Hot Seat lead-in.

I think they should air The Voice straight after MKR (when MasterChef starts), then air Hot Plate & then The Block. Fill quarter 1 with Married At First Signt & other performers like telemovies, drama series & crime investigations (like we saw with Jon Benet).

I just cannot see how Ch 9 will even get close to winning the year, if they donā€™t change something significantly. The share margins between them & Ch 7 were huge between February & April this year, pretty much costing the year & advertisers.

Also Ch 10 shouldnā€™t be forgotten, they continue to prove competitive with growth.

As far as Iā€™m aware, The Hot Plate legally canā€™t return since Nine agreed with Seven not to air it again (from what I remember) when settling out of court.

Besides, The Hot Plate didnā€™t exactly set new ratings records from what I remember.

Thereā€™s no doubt that Tenā€™s ratings have been improving over the last two years or so, but I canā€™t seriously see Ten challenging Nine for 2nd spot in the ratings until Ten fix up their news & sports departments.

While 2016 certainly hasnā€™t been one of Nineā€™s best years, theyā€™re still several points ahead of Ten in the ratings (both with their main channels and the full network share) whether or not you include the Olympics.

In 2017, Iā€™d probably expect Seven to mostly dominate the ratings, Nine to remain 2nd (with key demographics and the major East Coast markets being their strengths) and Ten to have continued growth but remain 3rd.

4 Likes

Good analysis :slight_smile:

Itā€™s not that Ch 9 havenā€™t done anything right in 2016, they did have ratings records for SOO with 2.7m* & NRL GF 2.6m* if I am correct (even though they seem low compared to the AFLā€™s records).

Itā€™s just the YTD survey share has had such a large gap, which Iā€™ve never seen before. Nine trail the #1 position by around 5% (an OzTam record I think)!

Hence my above post to see what Ch 9 can do to try and correct itā€¦

I also forgot:

ā€¢The Ashes on Ch 9

ā€¢Rugby League World Cup on Ch 7

ā€¢Winter Olympics on Ch 7

The Winter Olympics are 2018.

The Rugby League World Cup will be a dud until the semi-final stage or possibly the final and even then itā€™s questionable. Not a rater.

1 Like

According to TV Tonight, speakers at next Tuesdayā€™s upfronts include Peta Credlin, Shane Warne, Hamish and Andy, NCIS producer Shane Brennan and retiring sports presenter Ken Sutcliffe.

If RLWC will be a dud when it airs on Seven, will it rate better when it is on Nine?

Not sure what you mean here, but if you are referring to the NRL and State of Origin, then no. I donā€™t think the ratings will be affected. International rugby league battles to rate and only does well if it is being played in a bye weekend of the NRL season. By the time it gets to November, everyone has moved onto cricket.

1 Like

Some of Nineā€™s plans for 2017

Rebecca Maddern lands a national hosting role as Nine outlines its programming plan for next year

PUTTING up with Sam Newman all year has paid off for Rebecca Maddern, who has landed a new national hosting gig with Channel Nine.

The journalist-turned-presenter, who won over viewers on the AFL Footy Show, will be announced today as host of the new action-packed sports competition Australian Ninja Warrior.

However he confirmed some key show timings, including a Married At First Sight with ā€œmore drama, tears, tantrums and romanceā€ than ever.

ā€œWeā€™re kicking off next year with a new season of Married thatā€™s bigger, better and bolder to kick off the year,ā€ he said.

ā€œTravel Guide is a new format kicking off at the start of the year, where we take a group of families and send them to exotic locations, where they effectively act as guides for viewers. You can imagine the range of characters we have.ā€

Returning shows listed in the article are no surprise:

Doctor Doctor
Married At First Sight
The Block
Hamish and Andy
House Husbands
Love Child

Edit - link updated to no pay wall.

1 Like

Hyde and Seek unlikely to return?

1 Like

Nineā€™s Upfronts this afternoon will reveal details of the new Hamish and Andy series, next coaches for The Voice, and more. TV Tonight understands a new clip show Accidental Stories will also be confirmed.

1 Like

Announcements at the Channel Nine upfronts so far include

Family Food Fight vs Cannonball please.

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/the-voice/518/88?u=tv.cynic

Nineā€™s Sonia Kruger will return as host of The Voice in 2017 plus Delta and Seal. Who will join them in the third chair?

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/australian-ninja-warrior/1429/14?u=tv.cynic

9Go! Kidsā€¦possibly a replacement for the ā€œKids WBā€ brand as Nine ends itā€™s relationship with Warner Bros?

4 Likes

Only 3 chairs? Cutback like The X Factor has been this year?

1 Like

That was just me asking - no idea how many :slight_smile:

Oh I see. Maybe change it to ā€œother chairsā€ before a troll at newscorp turns into a vicious rumour. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I donā€™t think Nine has any idea yet anyway.

Still waiting for the TV event of this centrury to be announced by Nine - they usually have one each year :neutral_face:

1 Like