Nine (NBN)

I’m pretty sure WIN Television is doing sales for NBN. Nine will be employing WIN Television sales teams starting July 1.

1 Like

I said that WIN took over NBN sales from SCA

And yes, my timeline was off, it all merges in July

Nine Entertainment and WIN inch closer together with sales team integration.

1 Like

Mosbri Crescent on Thursday 16th June 2022

The panels used to have Soul and Kooee logos until TPG bought the carrier off Soul Pattinson. So 1 panel is blank and the other one shows TPG

5 Likes

NBN Newcastle have had the Wide World of Sports HD bug up on the screen this morning. Even during ad breaks.

This shows the level of automation they have, no one is noticing.

When presentation was in Newcastle they would have noticed straight away.

8 Likes

Reminds me of the time WIN left theirs on for almost a year on the WA feed back when they had one inside mappy.

One year. No one noticed.

5 Likes

When SCA (when they were still 9) moved their playout to NPC media (which also does playout for NBN), I’d turn on the TV frequently and see issues with the HD bug staying on screen or being incorrect etc., which no one noticed or cared about.

I worked at SCA at the time, so I would email my boss who would call NPC and get them to fix it (this happened many times).

At least WIN is smart enough to not have the stupid bug on their HD channel

3 Likes

I just can’t believe with all these years of using the latest greatest centralised playout technology, no one has worked out a way to time a fucking HD bug correctly

7 Likes

The technology already exists

Nine and NPC don’t use it

SCA had it all figured out when they did their own playout at watson

When NPC took over the HD bugs would be scheduled as normal and then NPC would say ‘oh yeah, we don’t do it that way’

1 Like

Of course it does. Depending on the equipment used, couldn’t they set rules for it to appear x seconds after the main watermark goes on, then 0 seconds after the main disappears?

1 Like

That’s how SCA’s playout equipment was set up.

We’d time the HD bug to appear 2 seconds after the Nine watermark appears on screen, and it would disappear at the end of the program segment.

2 Likes

Are they still redeveloping the site for apartments or a new development?

Decision on the former NBN site on Wednesday.

4 Likes

Or when WIN TEN WA in its very early days was carrying a different network for several days, no-one noticed for quiet a while.

3 Likes

As to why networks even run ‘HD’ bugs is beyond me, or bugs full stop!
We coped very well in the olden days without these graffiti stains. Is what started to turn me off FTA when the networks started to treat people as marketing targets instead of as viewers.

1 Like

ABC, Nine, Seven and Ten do not run them during normal programming, only for sport. SBS does, but only on its main channel.

1 Like

Wow, first I’ve heard about that. But it doesn’t surprise me no one noticed though. In it’s early days it was only broadcast on 4 transmitters to low populated areas.

I like bugs and HD bugs because I like TV logos and branding in general. I otherwise hate bugs on shows I actually watch and collect. Nothing in my personal Plex collection is bugged at all and I am glad in this new era of streaming brands that we don’t see bugs becoming a thing.

They use a HD bug on sport on SBS VICELAND, too.

Yeah, when HD was ‘new’ and ‘exciting’ and ‘cool’ and ‘rad’ I can see why it would be super dooper amazing to have a reminder on screen that the channel I’m watching is in HD. Now, not so much.

Indeed, back in the day stations would put in some effort into making a cool station id to run between shows to remind you what station you’re watching and you didn’t have to put up with skid marks (sorry, I mean graffiti stains) on screen constantly

2 Likes

That depends on where you live. Where I live, commercial HD is a rare commodity and we’ve skirted right past this era of HD being a whiz bang fad to now being a minimum expectation. And we still don’t have most HD channels.

1 Like

Give it time, they are still growing and relatively new, wait until the industry matures and consolidates.