Nine (NBN)

IIRC, she became Tracy Chamberlain and went to Prime Television in Canberra to read the local news. I don’t know what happened after that.

4 Likes

It’s on 9Now. Looks a rehash of the orginal 1990 Documentry that NBN Produced
https://www.9now.com.au/the-newcastle-earthquake/2019/episode-1

3 Likes

Sport HD Watermark stays on screen when the news breaks into the tennis on NBN. Now that the tennis has come back, there is no HD watermark. Glitches that didn’t happen as much when presentation was in Newcastle.

7 Likes

I’m guessing it’s been a very long time since playout was done in Newcastle

1 Like

It was a year or two ago that playout got moved to Sydney.

1 Like

Interesting, I thought they would’ve done it a long time ago

2 Likes

Yes, I agree, even though PBL (now NEC) bought NBN back in 2007, they have been slow in making changes.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, the playout of NBN moved from Newcastle to NPC in 2018.

With Nine News highly likely to receive a new/refreshed look at some point during 2020 (can’t imagine the current graphics remaining in use this time next year anyway) and as we come up to four years since the Nine-ification of NBN Television started (hard to believe it’s nearly been this long, I know!), it’ll be quite interesting to see whether or not the job finally gets finished this year with a rebrand of the local news service/6pm bulletin from NBN News to Nine News.

3 Likes

I still think NBN is a better fit than ‘Nine’ considering it’s on channel 8 but I doubt we’ll see a return to separate regional branding outside of WIN anytime soon

2 Likes

Northern NSW getting Nine (or NBN) on LCN-8 isn’t any worse than Nine being on LCN-5 in most other regional areas though.

3 Likes

The interesting thing is they have to be out of their building by mid-year I believe and there’s no indication a building has been signed off on. Maybe they’ll move news to North Sydney.

2 Likes

If the plan is for Northern NSW news to eventually be presented from North Sydney, one wonders what they’ll do branding wise. As much as I personally think it should be Nine News everywhere for simple branding consistency, at the same time I would not be overly surprised if they didn’t due to the quite understandable fear that parhochial Novocastrians might be all “It’s a disgrace how they’re replacing our local NBN News with Nine News from Sydney!” about such a change.

Of course it’d be a sad day for presenters and other crew in Newcastle who’d likely be out of a job as part of such “streamlining” by the network, also likely to result in the end of weekend bulletins and two presenters on weeknights. Gavin Morris is an interesting case because he’s known for having a strong dislike for Sydney while at the same time, probably being the NBN presenter who gets the most airtime outside his main viewing area with Jane Goldsmith (As much as it’d be great if she did, with a young family I can’t imagine her making a permanent move to Sydney) probably a close second.

2 Likes

It will no doubt happen one day.

I think it would be branded as Nine News.

And I don’t think there’ll be too much outrage as long as it’s clearly promoted as Nine News Newcastle and preferably with a locally recognised face like Jane presenting (or even Natasha or Paul though I think they are pretty ordinary presenters).

3 Likes

There is no way they would move it to Sydney. It’s a #1 rating station so they would invest in it not rip it apart.

That is why NBN News and Big Dog still exists… Could you imagine the yearly cost of running Big Dog in prime time ad space.

Weather it will be NBN News or 9 News… that is another story.

Branding wise, NBN News has the advantage of not having a geographical location in its name (yes, we know what NBN stands for but the average viewer doesn’t). Changing the bulletin’s name to Nine News Newcastle isn’t exactly selling the product the rest of NNSW, and even Nine News North NSW doesn’t accurately represent its licence area (which includes Gold Coast and Central Coast). Perhaps this is one reason they have stuck with the NBN News branding . Something like Nine News NBN is a compromise, but clunky.

1 Like

That was an example.

They could follow the Southern NSW model and have different openers, promos, backdrops etc for each sub market

3 Likes

NBN produces five separate bulletins, they wouldn’t all be called Nine News Newcastle. It’d be more along the lines of:

• Nine News Northern Rivers
  • Nine News Mid North
  • Nine News New England, or North West
  • Nine News Newcastle, or Hunter
  • Nine News Central Coast

You don’t see all of the various RVIC bulletins called “Nine News Bendigo”, for example.

2 Likes

Six, because there’s also a Gold Coast edition (which I suspect, is one of the main reasons the NBN News brand has stuck around for as long as it has).

5 Likes

I reckon if NBN News rebrands to Nine News, one of the following will happen.

• Northern Rivers bulletin is shown on the Gold Coast with GC stories to be included in the local news window.
  • Nine Gold Coast News moves to the current Nine-NBN channel with Nine Gold Coast relaying Nine Brisbane 100% of the time without any Nine Gold Coast branding
  • Nine News Brisbane is shown on Nine-NBN Gold Coast in place of the Nine News bulletin from NSW.

The last one I think will be the most likely scenario.

2 Likes

I think the current 1 hour 6pm bulletin would stay as it is on NBN but be known as “Nine News Gold Coast”, and the current “Nine Gold Coast News” on QTQ would stay at 5.30pm and have the Brisbane based bulletin follow.

1 Like