Nine (NBN)

That’s a great find for a fellow Novocastrian like me! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

5 Likes

I wonder how many people on the Gold Coast actually watch Nine-NBN as opposed to the local Nine Gold Coast?

2 Likes

Not many. I read somewhere that Prime/9NBN/WIN on average command about 15% of the audience that the Brisbane stations get on the GC.

3 Likes

I would imagine that their Gold Coast stations wouldn’t be making much money. I also suspect that most people in the far north of the Tweed Coast from Tweed Heads down to Kingscliff are probably watching the Gold Coast metro stations rather than what comes out of Lismore.

4 Likes

I can’t imagine the regional stations on the NSW Central Coast (regional Australia’s most poorly served major market when it comes to local media IMO) being that big of a money spinner either. NRN under a number of ownership eras never bothering to turn on their relays in Gosford and Bouddi probably says something about how widely the relays of Sydney TV are watched in that region.

Except of course during Daylight Saving Time, when the Lismore stations might be more widely watched due to being an hour ahead of the Gold Coast metro ones North of the border!

4 Likes

But the Gold Coast transmitters are all on Queensland time.

4 Likes

Correct. Many on the border have two UHF antennas - one facing Mt Nardi near Lismore and the other, Mt Tamborine (the mian Gold Coast Transmitter). For 6 months of the year they would be enjoying programmes in 2 times zones from essentially, 3 different TV markets!

5 Likes

They aren’t always playing the same programs, eg at 4:40pm Monday QLD time, there is News on NBN and Millionare on 9 Gold Coast. So it could be different viewing tastes at that particular moment.

8 Likes

Just went through the EPG for the next few day.
Saw on Saturday at 5:30 they have a documentary on the Newcastle Earthquake. I wondered if NBN news that day might have a feature on it to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the disaster.

3 Likes

Knowing NBN, I daresay they would.

They have a penchant for doing this type of thing during their news, though having said that, there’s been very little of it since Nine started doing 1 hour 6pm bulletins about 6 years ago.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Thanks for these caps!

Where did you get them from?

4 Likes

1.24pm is oddly specific :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

They forgot to mention seconds! :blush:

3 Likes

Screen cap from Channel Nine Sydney

5 Likes

Radiohead - Caps of the promo were from Facebook.

3 Likes

It’s basically the 1990 documentary redone and rescreened. Very disappointing effort.

3 Likes

No interviews with the main people involved or their families (considering most would now be deceased.)

No IVs either with Ross Hampton or Tracey Reid, the on-ground journalists, about their memories. John Church, the anchor and narrator, is a Newcastle councillor, so it would have been easy to get him for a look back.

Just poor.

Why not convert these into sitdowns?

3 Likes

Speaking of which. Where are Ross Hampton and Tracy Reid these days?

3 Likes