Nine (NBN)

Nah, nah, nah, that won’t gonna happen, given that QTQ and NBN has a common general manager overseeing both stations. Seems like if Nine News chooses to invade weeknight news in NBN-land, the GC-targeted transmitters in Northern NSW border areas would be coverted as QTQ relays (Nine GC News and stuff) but retains its NSW-based advertising opt-out compared to transmitters within the GC.

1 Like

IMO Nine should air Nine Gold Coast news at 6pm on NBN Gold Coast, with a delayed Brisbane Bulletin at 6:30, skipping ACA.

Or just shut down those pointless transmitters entirely. I’m fairly sure there’s no NBN transmitters that show the Gold Coast feed that don’t also have a QTQ transmitter.

3 Likes

Shutting down concerned transmitters would be the pointless thing. GC-targeted transmitters from NNSW is used to air advertising separate from the Brisbane-based sales ads.

2 Likes

Good idea, though it would kind of render QTQ Gold Coast useless, and that is the one locals watch, they are used to pressing 9 to watch 9, not pressing 8 to watch 9.

2 Likes

How complicated the Gold Coast media is remains unsolved. When will major media outlets find a solution to this? Not in the forseeable future, I guess.

1 Like

So shut down the QTQ transmitters and just have an ‘NBN’ one that is on LCN 9 and airs the Gold Coast version of the Nine Brisbane feed with GC exclusive advertising.

I certainly don’t buy the idea some have that somehow QTQ Gold Coast can’t do alternate advertising yet NBN Gold Coast can.

3 Likes

It’s a licence restriction, BTQ7 and TVQ10 have the same restriction imposed on them too.

Nine won’t shut down either QTQ/NBN on the Gold Coast unless 7/Prime7 and Ten/WIN agree to do the same, which won’t happen whilst there are separate owners.

2 Likes

While the idea of markets like the Gold & Central Coast having both metro & regional TV might’ve been a good one pre-aggregation and even for some time after that as the metro & regional stations continued to have notable programming differences, it’s not really something that should still be a thing today IMO.

If both Seven & Nine are allowed to air local news services (albeit still with strong operational links to the main Brisbane/South East QLD 6pm bulletins) on the Gold Coast stations, then I wouldn’t have any problems with them selling local advertising either.

3 Likes

Are they even allowed to shut down part of their broadcast area under ACMA rules? (Or am I not understanding you correctly)

1 Like

I’ve seen the claim about them not being able to - but never been pointed to anything putting that in writing. Either way, if somehow that is the case and they couldn’t get the ACMA to roll over and change it, they can just put it under the NBN umbrella.

It makes zero sense to duplicate their signal and the costs associated with it - especially producing the NBN Gold Coast news window, for what by all accounts are fractions of the audience. Seems a no brainer cost saver to me.

NRN (WIN NNSW) don’t broadcast a signal on some of the Central Coast overlap transmitters. Likewise there’s lots of retransmitter sites in more remote areas that just have the ABC/SBS on them and none of the commercials.

5 Likes

I’ve said before that I doubt that the Gold Coast Nthn NSW channels are making any money. The only reason they are broadcasting there is due to the way that TV transmission was planned back in the 1960s when RTN8 Lismore was a stand-alone station and it’s carried on past aggregation to today.
RTN8 was always seen as being an alternative service to the Gold Coast to what the Brisbane channels had to offer. I don’t have any figures to back it up, but I suspect that very few people on the Gold Coast watch Prime7, Nine NBN and WIN. I would go so far to say that even most people across the border on the Tweed Coast are probably watching Brisbane via the Gold Coast more than the local Lismore channels. Plenty of antennas in Kingscliff are aimed at Mount Tamborine or the Southern Gold Coast Hinterland transmitter at Springbrook.

7 Likes

NBN TV Channel Listings

Nine-NBN Central Coast
Nine Newcastle
Nine New England
Nine Taree-Port Macquarie
Nine Mid North Coast
Nine Far North Coast
Nine-NBN Gold Coast

8 Likes

I’m guessing you’ve been traveling.

1 Like

During Customs today at 5.30pm, Nine Mid North Coast showed two 9Go! Proud Sponsor boards instead of the 9 ones.

5 Likes

A pic of the TV listing from today’s Newcastle Herald.

And not a single mention of Nine.

No doubt supplied by Mosbri Crescent.

7 Likes

Same for Newcastle Weekly (a free weekly mag).

NBN

8 Likes

Nine’s own guide still calls it NBN.

6 Likes

Old habbits die hard

5 Likes

IDs:

Community Noticeboard:

Commercials:

4 Likes

Don’t know about the tugboat one, but that “Netball” Ident has been airing for some time now - saw it on the Central Coast in November.

4 Likes