Nine (NBN)

The Block in Newcastle.

HA! Nice of “NBN News” to claim it was “our Block Your Street” morning considering it was a KO-FM promotion

2 Likes

I heard an interesting ad for 9NBN on 2GO FM Central Coast this afternoon.

It’s catchline was

“Head STRAIGHT to Channel EIGHT … NBN, for all of your local news, NBN News” … that was the general theme of it.

No mention of the Nine brand, despite the LCN name being “Nine/NBN Central Coast” … and no mention of Channel 80 as HD.

And interesting about the local news angle given how light on for local news they usually are… the local news window (when there is one) is half full of Newcastle news anyway.

7 Likes

Hmm, sounds like a rather interesting radio promo. I suppose they had to run with the “Straight to Channel Eight” angle because directing Central Coast viewers to Nine might result in them watching the Sydney news service, but it really shows how inconsistent the branding strategy is.

As for not mentioning Channel 80 HD, well NBN News isn’t produced in native HD yet so no big deal there! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yep, from what I can tell the Central Coast is tragically underserved when it comes to TV news - perhaps even moreso than Newcastle.

One really wonders what the 300k or so residents up there think about being mostly overlooked by NBN and the Sydney stations, because I’d imagine there are some interesting/relevant news stories that happen in the region which mightn’t be picked by TV!

2 Likes

The Sydney news bulletins do cover some Central Coast news as it’s really kind of an outer suburb of Sydney.

As for secondary local news, they probably get it from local radio or local newspapers.

It’s always been that way for them, they are probably used to it.

2 Likes

Head to Channel 8 at 6 for NBN News on Nine?

4 Likes

The EPG is wrong on 9-NBN Central Coast, but it’s correct on 9 Newcastle.
Seems to be picking up what is currently on the Gold Coast (with the time difference).

7 Likes

That is the cost where there is only one news service in a market - you only get news from one perspective and what one news director thinks is a priority, another may see a different story more relevant to their audience

3 Likes

NINE NBN CELEBRATES 2018 RATINGS SUCCESS

Nine NBN is the Number 1 Television Network across NNSW and the Gold Coast for the 2018 ratings year.

Across the 40-week ratings survey period (excluding Commonwealth Games) Nine NBN has claimed the top position for all key demographics, including a total people Network share of 33.8%. This decisive win is the 26th consecutive win for Nine NBN against Prime Networks 27.2% and the Win Network with 15.0%.

NBN News, the only 7-day local News service, continues to lead the ratings with NBN News Sunday the Number 1 News program. NBN News dominance combined with an outstanding line-up of hit programs confirmed we are again the preferred destination for viewers.

Nine NBN’s highlights for the 2018 ratings year include:-
 Highest Total People share for the year
 No.1 with key demographics – 25-54’s, 16-39’s and Grocery Buyers
 No.1 in the Newcastle, Northern Rivers and Tamworth/Taree sub-markets
 Top 19 Programs
 Highest Rating Breakfast Program, Weekdays 6-9am – Today
 Number 1 Comedy – Young Sheldon
 Number 1 Drama – Underbelly Files: Chopper - Part 1
 Number 1 Light Entertainment – The Voice Grand Final Winner Announced
 Number 1 News/Current Affairs – NBN News Sunday
 Number 1 Reality Television – The Block Winner Announced
 Number 1 Specials – Harry And Meghan The Royal Wedding
 Number 1 Sports Event – State of Origin Game 2.

In 2019, viewers will be spoilt for choice with a massive programming line-up. Returning programs Married at First Sight, The Block, Australian Ninja Warrior, Travel Guides, This Time Next Year and Doctor Doctor will join NBN News, 60 Minutes, A Current Affair and the Today Show.

New programs to join the schedule include:- SeaChange – A big change is coming to Nine….
Bad Mothers – follows five modern women juggling the big issues - love, family, careers, infidelity & …murder. Lego Masters – where your only limitation is your imagination.
Hamish & Andy’s Perfect Holiday – the boys will embark on another action packed adventure, but this time with a slight twist.

Source: Nielsen Regional TAM, Weeks 7-47- Consolidated 7, Week 48- Overnight, Excluding Easter & Commonwealth Games.
Network Share% [FTA (excl Spill)] 6pm-MN Sun-Sat. Programmes ranked by AUD. Nthrn NSW Total Individuals (unless specified).

6 Likes

I can see they still need to work on their consistency of branding.

“Nine NBN” is never used on air, it appears on the LCN names for the Gold Coast and Central Coast only.

3 Likes

“Nine Bendigo” (for example) is never used on air. I can see they’re trying to use “NBN” in the same way as a city name identifyer but it doesn’t really work well.

5 Likes

Yeah, they would be better off terming it “Nine Northern NSW” in that case.

You never hear them referring to their Sydney or Melbourne stations as “Nine TCN” or “Nine GTV”.

4 Likes

As a brand, “Nine Northern NSW” wouldn’t really work well on the Gold Coast for obvious reasons.

To me it seems like Nine wants to a consistent brand right up and down the East Coast, while NBN probably wants to retain whatever local identity they have left. Add the Gold Coast & NSW Central Coast with their overlap from nearby metropolitan Nine markets and it all becomes a bit of a pickle.

Personally I think they should consolidate the two Nine Network services in these overlap markets into one so the Gold & Central Coasts are provided with single Nine Network service committed to their market, but realistically I can’t see that happening. The network probably makes more money from their “double dipping” of these overlap markets, local QTQ & TCN management would complain if they lost hundreds of thousands of viewers, people watching at home would complain about no longer having access to their favourite 6pm news service…you get the general idea.

2 Likes

I’m waiting now for how NBN News fared in each sub-market this year. I remember Kenney Heatley’s post on Facebook (which I linked on a proper thread) at the start of the year about his former job winning against NBN News across the ratings game in the North West and North Coast areas last year.

3 Likes

Kenny left in July and with Madelaine going on maternity leave shortly after, it’d be interesting to see if NBN News with their comparatively more stable presenting lineup has experienced improved ratings in the North West/Coast regions during the 2nd half of the year.

Outside of Northern NSW, I’d be particularly interested to know how Nine News’ regional bulletins have performed in their first full year on-air in all markets of Queensland, Southern NSW/ACT and Victoria. Guess we’ll just have to wait for the Prime Media Group to issue their spin for even a vague idea…

2 Likes

That would only happen if Seven/Prime and Ten/WIN agree to do the same, and of course, there’s the argument about who stays/goes.

It MAY happen if/when Seven/Prime and Ten/WIN ever each come under the same ownership, but again, unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

which from memory was wrong. I think he went for 6-6.30. Not a true comparison when the other one goes for an hour

1 Like

Well, there is in the North West against NBN. Probably the way I structured the sentence might be vague. Here’s the link from another thread for proof:

Is NBN broadcast in AEDT on the Gold Coast during daylight savings or do they keep it in AEST?