Nine (NBN)

Another thing I forgot to mention is the ACA promos have generic background. I can’t remember if it has always been like this or not?

1 Like

no, but how hard would it be for TCN News to actually replace “Sydney” with “NSW” or just leave it as the “9 News” watermark like it is for all other broadcasts.

2 Likes

“NNSW”… now there’s a thought as NBN’s broadcast area is NNSW.

or a simple “National” would do which SCA could even use, but realistically won’t because they have no pride in their tv product.

1 Like

I know that a lot of people will be opposed to this idea, but this is something that I think will inevitably happen with multi-channel platforms. I think in the long term any station that produces half hour local news bulletins will shift them to the secondary channel and insert noodle updates on the main channel. As it is Seven QLD encores Seven Local News at 6:30pm (a half hour time shift on the main channel’s bulletin) and I think it will only be a matter of time before one of the networks only airs on a secondary channel - if Nine affiliates do it, I think they will target either 6pm or 7pm on Gem and Seven QLD/Prime7/GWN will screen it on 7Two either at 5:30pm or 6:30pm.

I agree, they should use the same 9News logo from the other daytime bulletins for regionals for the 4pm bulletin.

But it has to be said that along with the Sydney backdrop, there’s still this titlecard at the start of the bulletin:

And yes I know Sydney is still the majority of the viewership but I personally think the regional stations should be requesting the bulletin be branded as something like “Nine News NSW/ACT at 4pm” rather than “Nine News Sydney at 4pm” along with a more generic signoff (because 2.5 million or so get Vanessa or Paul & Tash at 6pm rather than Peter Overton or Deborah Knight if it’s a Friday) so metro & regional viewers feel included. Similar deal with other states.

6 Likes

Good suggestion, but quite overdue for Nine Sydney. Wait, I’m sure Darwin’s also receiving Sydney’s afternoon news, but this issue is for another thread.

They wish! It’s more like an average of 8% of that 2.5 million actually watch Nine in regional NSW/ACT at 6:00pm. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, obviously it’s impossible for literally every NSW resident outside of Sydney to be watching a Nine affiliated station on weekdays. Indeed, the total reach of SCA Nine/NBN in Regional NSW & the ACT might be slightly less than 2.5 million after taking out the Broken Hill, Griffith and Remote Central/Eastern Australia markets.

But in any case, TCN (and to be fair, ATN as well) still needs to be mindful of the fact that they do have viewers of their news bulletins on terrestrial TV outside of Sydney even if many of the stations only rebroadcast the Sydney 4pm bulletin on weekdays or maybe the Sydney 6pm bulletin on weekends.

4 Likes

But because these regional stations are not O&O by Nine or Seven West, that means diddly squat to them

2 Likes

Coverup on 5pm News:

5 Likes

Some caps from today’s episode of the local program “Location Lifestyle Living”:

Two promos:

Very hard to find information about this show in TV Guide form. In the NBN TV Guide listings I have seen, it has the program that Nine metro has in this slot. The EPG even has the Nine metro program (!).

The NBN website mentions 9 Newcastle, so I’m not sure if it airs on the other NBN markets.

Full episodes on this website: http://www.locationlifestyleliving.com.au/

8 Likes

No, just Newcastle but nationally on 9Go!

1 Like

It’s always been a rarity for NBN to split programming between Newcastle and the other markets (apart from local news, sport and weather).

Even back in the 90s, Newcastle Knights games were shown right across Northern NSW and the Gold Coast.

Though the few Gold Coast Seagulls games they did show were mostly confined to the Northern Rivers and Gold Coast regions. I remember they even got Leigh Maughan to call those as he was living up there at the time.

2 Likes

Nine NBN on the Gold Coast shows the Qld Cup match instead of the NSW Cup match on Saturday afternoons.

4 Likes

Probably related to this, the market immediately to the north of Newcastle is now labelled “Taree-Port Macquarie”:

7 Likes

Hmm, very interesting although I guess the updated LCN name fits in somewhat with “Prime7 Taree” and (probably, I know SCA used to run “Taree” as the location name in the LCN for this viewing area anyway) “WIN Taree”.

Wonder if it’s still “Nine Mid North Coast” in the other half of the viewing area or if they’ve changed it to something in-line with the “Coffs Harbour” LCN names of Prime7 and possibly WIN.

2 Likes

Off-Topic, I can confirm that the LCN name for WIN & its channels is “Coffs Harbour” when I was up there in June.

1 Like

The WIN lower market is labelled “Port Macquarie”.

1 Like