Nine (NBN)

WIN only ever managed national sales for NBN. SCA took this over when the affiliation for the rest of the country swapped in 2016.
SCA have now recently taken over local sales for NBN, a function WIN never performed for NBN, and adding back in some of the costs they lost.

I agree this makes it seem unlikely, however the sale of NRN allowed them the remove most of their support for Ten affiliation (they need to do far less to keep the SA and Remote Tens running) and helped them clear some debt. As a public company, everything is forward looking, so it may now be worthwhile adding NNSW back into the portfolio, regardless of price as it may make the company more attractive to potential buyers etc.

1 Like

WIN has the Ten affiliation in Tasmania as of the July 2016 affiliation switch.

Why would Nine sell NBN, only to possibly buy it back at some point in the future?

1 Like

Whoops, youā€™re right.

Stupider things have happened in the past, but who says Nineā€™s the only potential buyer?

This convo is a bit stupid yes? What evidence is there that Nine would be willing to sell NBN?

IIRC Prime manage Seven Queenslandā€™s sales.

2 Likes

Which could be the reason Bruce Gordon hasnt changed his WIN News theme music - in the hope SCA and Nine fall out before the next agreement in 2021

I think there would be a cold day in Hell before Nine and WIN ever team up again, I might be wrong but I doubt that I amā€¦

2 Likes

I would have to agreeā€¦ BUT then Bruce is probably arrogant enough to think he could do it. Realistically, who really wants to deal with Bruce - he is like a little kid - takes his bat and ball and goes home when he canā€™t get his own way. I think the media industry in Australia are sick of these moguls having these little tantrums

4 Likes

Funniest thing Iā€™ve read so far today.

5 Likes

The sad thing is he is probably a big enough fool to believe it could happen

1 Like

Given that the likely buyer for SCAā€™s TV assets would be Nine, I doubt it

1 Like

Zero.

As has been said there is zero evidence to support such a move. If Nine did this, it would be like selling Adelaide and Perth all over again - making it a weaker brand and being more susceptible to the likes of Bruce Gordon as far as leverage goes.

Whilst Nine has NBN - Nine are less likely to want to deal with Bruce Gordon and stick with SCA

3 Likes

You do realise Bruce has Nine affiliations in 5 states yeah? Personal spats and law suits aside, they still do business with eachother.

2 Likes

I do realise this but Nine would want to minimise the leverage Bruce Gordon has as much as possible - Nine started negotiations with SCA because of the way Bruce Gordon was behaving and how he was demanding a lower program supply fee.

1 Like
3 Likes

Another gem from the NBN News archives

Beanies for sale, supporting the Mark Hughes Foundation, can be bought at the 9NBN reception.

LOCATIONā€¦ LIFESTYLEā€¦ LIVING

Thereā€™s a new lifestyle show on the block and itā€™s made right here in Newcastle!

Locationā€¦Lifestyleā€¦Living is an NBN Production: locally produced and featuring prominent Novocastrians and Hunter landmarks.

As the name suggests, itā€™s a lifestyle show exploring everything from open homes, energy saving tips, gardening for all those green thumbs, tradie tips, and a star suburb of the week, where local celebrities drop in for a chat and tell us what they love about their suburb.

Locationā€¦Lifestyleā€¦Living is hosted by ex- Screaming Jets drummer now auctioneer Craig ā€œRosieā€ Rosevear and proud Novocastrian and renovation expert Naomi Findlay with appearances from ā€œBlock Headsā€ Kim and Chris.

ā€œI love to tell anyone who will listen about what an awesome place Newcastle is. Now with Location-Lifestyle-Living, I can do more than tell them, I can show them. From the world class beaches all the way up to the wine country of the Hunter Valley we can share the people, the places and the properties that make up the fabric of ā€œour townā€. Iā€™m excited to be part of such an awesome team that will showcase this amazing place we all call homeā€ Craig Rosevear

ā€œI was so lucky to grow up in Newcastle. Even after travelling the world, I always intended on moving back home to enjoy the best of everything. Location, Lifestyle, Living is the TV show that will inspire Australians to come and see this beautiful city for its amazing beaches, quirky cafes and the gorgeous Hunter Valley region. I canā€™t wait to share it with the rest of the country! You wonā€™t want to miss this!!!ā€ Naomi Findlay

The show is the brainchild of long-time NBN producer Kerryn Scully and put together by a passionate and committed crew from NBN Productions.

Locationā€¦Lifestyleā€¦Living - Saturdays at 12.30 from August 25th on 9 Newcastle.

4 Likes

Thanks for that.

Though I donā€™t get the branding hereā€¦

How is it an NBN production but on Nine Newcastle? Why not a Nine Newcastle production?

And does that mean the rest of Northern NSW isnā€™t getting this show?

But good to see that thereā€™s some local production still occurring outside of news.

2 Likes

NBNā€™s custom Nine ā€˜returnā€™ bug:

5 Likes

Does it animate or just fade in-fade out?