Nine (NBN)

My understanding is that Frenchs Forest controls NBN playout 24/7 for all six NBN sub-regions, there is no router switch at Mosbri Crescent to break into the playout feeds from Frenchs Forest for NBN News.
And yes, the NBN Mosbri Crescent studio is switched fulltime to Frenchs Forest, has been for several years now as NBN closed captioning has been ex Frenchs Forest since around 2014.

5 Likes

I’m on the Gold Coast at the moment and the NBN logo is still next to the Nine logo up here.

3 Likes

RICHO - There is probably a coverup because the 4pm news says “Sydney” on the watermark?

The others just says Nine News so they don’t need to be covered.

I suppose they could do a “NSW” coverup over the “Sydney” part

1 Like
2 Likes

Since they’re leasing the Mosbri Cresent site for another two years, I wonder if Nine might try and schedule the move to new facilities in Newcastle (wherever they may be) around the same time TCN will transition from Willoughby to North Sydney?

Either way, I personally hope Nine will maintain the current output of news from Newcastle. Although knowing the current state of regional broadcasting, I would not be overly surprised if NBN News is “streamlined” into the Nine News Regional operations at some point (similar to how Nine News Darwin was “streamlined” into the Regional QLD operations last year).

2 Likes

Its possible that what is now NBN News could be streamlined into the Nine News regional operations in that it may be done out of Sydney, but I think a second studio and second set of presenters etc would be needed as there would not be enough time for Vanessa / Mike to do 10-11 pre-records of local news and sport.

3 Likes

Not sure if they’d want to do two major moves, especially when both are in NSW, at the same time. TCN will more than likely take priority, then when NBN moves any bugs at TCN should already be ironed out.

2 Likes

Or, if Nine want to expose Vanessa to NNSW, they could also pre-record intros to local windows like how Seven QLD does to pre-recorded bulletins. But that’s another story.

1 Like

All about saving money. They probably won’t find a new site and move in to Nine’s new space.

That’s what I’m thinking. The new Newcastle office will be a lot smaller and probably won’t include a studio, I think.

2 Likes

news won’t be moved to Sydney. They are going to build a studio facility in the Newcastle CBD for NBN News. This has been discussed behind the scenes. It has also been mentioned in the news bulletins several times.

4 Likes

They would be shot if they were to move to Sydney.

3 Likes

Now that playout is in Sydney. I would like to see the NBN channels appear on the Nine app (nine now). It can use the GPS to play the correct market.

3 Likes

That won’t happen, sadly. If Seven don’t do it for Seven Queensland, they sure as well won’t do it for NBN. Do they do it for NTD?

They could at least put the news bulletins online in 9Now as a minimum.

Seven Queensland can be streamed via 7plus, the only regional stations in Australia to do so, due to it being O&O by the Seven Network.

No.

3 Likes

Well, I don’t use 7plus so much, so I didn’t know.

As for NTD not being on 9Now, that sort of answers my point - if NTD is not there, NBN won’t be.

They should be, but they won’t. Ideally, ALL of the Nine O&Os and affilates, at the very least TNQ, CTC, GLV/BCV along with NTD and NBN should be on the app with GPS-related geoblocking, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath. The bulletins SHOULD be on 9Now, no excuses.

3 Likes

I have a sneaking suspicion that SCA is going to buy NBN in the coming years. With SCA now handling NBN’s sales, and NBN coming down off the Hill in the next few years, what’s not to say that they can combine NBN and CTC into one NSW/ACT operation, have news come from Sydney and completely gut everything else? Nine have the money from the real estate sale, sadly there’s not much value left.

Ideally, and I’ve said it before, I wish SCA (Australia’s answer to Sinclair Broadcast Group, in terms of reach and sniffing pollies a##eholes) were told to f##k off and split up, but sadly that won’t be happening.

3 Likes

Selling it to SCA would mean a big blow, IMO, because you would let Vanessa record more than 10 local windows apart from Canberra.

1 Like

I don’t think there would be enough time to do that.

Under an SCA ownership scenario, I reckon there would be Northern and Southern NSW versions of Nine News regiional.

Nine would probably insist that the Northern version be produced out of Sydney since they wouldn’t have a Newcastle presence anymore.

3 Likes

I highly doubt that this will happen. NNSW is the largest regional market, it’s even larger than Perth and Adelaide so it’s good for Nine. Secondly, WIN managed NBN’s sales for years, no different to what SCA are doing now. Thirdly, SCA have just gotten rid of a station in NNSW and all of the costs that come with it, they’re hardly going to try purchasing another one that will more than likely cost more than the sale price of NRN.

2 Likes