Nine (NBN)

Thanks for that.

So do you mean it goes from NPC to Mosbri Crescent then to the transmitter sites? (and that the next phase will cut Mosbri out altogether?).

Perhaps this is related to the playout change from Mosbri Cresent to NPC?

Although I’m kind of surprised that Nine is still allowing NBN to do coverups of their “watermark” during Nine News bulletins.

1 Like

Agreed. NBN News should only be referring to the 6PM bulletin, which should long have really have been rebranded back in 2017 when the Nine News Regional bulletins were launched for a seamless regional brand.

2 Likes

I wonder if NBN is inserting the “watermark” at Mosbri unbeknownst to NPC?
As like you say, why would NPC be doing this. It makes no sense whatsoever.

The station for all other intents and purposes is known as Channel Nine, and the daytime bulletins being shown are under the Nine News banner.

2 Likes

EXACTLY! Viewers aren’t stupid, they know that they daytime bulletins are Nine News, a single watermark on the corner of the screen will change nothing. All in-program watermarks have long been reduced to the network branding (except the overlap watermark tag), watermarking national news makes absolutely zero sense now.

2 Likes

At present, yes.
Pure speculation, NBN transmission may never go to NPC, but to an external provider, who knows? There are companies sniffing around now that can do the work.
So why spend money on exspenive headends when the current ones will do for now?

1 Like

The new Nine News coverup:

Old one for comparison:

7 Likes

Sheesh! That makes WIN’s former Nine News bug look good.

Nice to see them continuing to embrace the local NBN News brand though.

1 Like

A news brand that should only exist on the 6PM bulletin…

1 Like

…if even that. Putting market overlap and LCN issues (even in the case of the latter, other regional Nine affiliates seem to manage things OK) to one side for just a moment, can someone explain to me how “NBN News at 6pm on Channel Nine” makes much more sense from a branding/promotional perspective than “Nine News at 6pm on Channel Nine”?!

Even if this means having “NBN” text somehow incorporated into the logo on otherwise Nine News-branded bulletin(s) for the benefit of the Gold/Central Coast regions, just do it already!

1 Like

Gold Coast, yes. But just the names “Nine News Sydney” and “Nine News Central Coast” would surely be enough.

3 Likes

They should just brand the 6pm bulletin as “NBN Nine News” or something like that. And not worry about cover ups for the daytime bulletins.

There was no cover up on Nine News First At Five today.

2 Likes

hahaha I just saw this NBN blooper on Facebook. It from the NBN Telethon 2002. They did a live cross to Paul Lobb at the Palais.

Pretty funny. (you might have to join that group to watch it)

TC25: So I would assume NPC just started playing out across the existing link which is still going via NBN’s master control which is just locked to same feed 24/7?

When NBN News goes to air does the transmission stay local just for now? Do they just press a button on their mixer / router locally to feed NBN News into the transmitter? Or does NBN News already send it’s signal back to Sydney?

EDIT: Actually Sydney would need to play ads, so NBN would need to send it’s vision to Sydney?

NBN News Studio --> Sydney --> Mosbri Crescent --> Mt Sugarloaf (and other transmitters).

Another change I’ve noticed with the move of NBNs playout to Sydney is that the NBN watermark next to the Nine one has disappeared from the Central Coast feed (and presumably Gold Coast as well).

2 Likes

It would be interesting if they replaced it with one that said “Northern NSW” in the same font that QTQ uses for their Gold Coast watermark. The NBN brand is all but dead outside of news, save for the watermark addition.

It’s time to let the past die

3 Likes
5 Likes

The EPG for all daytime news bulletins now correctly titles them as Nine News, not NBN News.

There goes another dilution of the NBN brand, slowly but surely.

1 Like

they’ve all been Nine News on the Foxtel EPG for more than one year

For some reason the 11.30 news has had no NBN watermark for the past few days but the 4pm bulletin has. No idea about Early News and I’m damned if I’m getting up at that time to check when on holidays!

2 Likes