Nine (NBN)

Technically it’s only two as 7 Gold Coast is just a feed of 7 Brisbane with local inserts (really only advertisements and news).

1 Like

NBN probably thought that everyone knows 2300 as the postcode for Newcastle! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not that I can speak from experience (the first and so far only time I had a trip to the Gold Coast was years before I really got interested in broadcasting!), but I think reception of both the Brisbane & Gold Coast would be possible in the right areas and with the right antennas.

Although I do know someone I regularly interact with elsewhere online who I think lives on the Northern end of the Gold Coast but seems to only receives the Brisbane stations.

I thought Seven (and Nine) Gold Coast run the same advertising as the Brisbane feed, but do local inserts for news and some promos. My guess is that unlike Nine, Seven don’t feel the need to run an actual version of 7HD Gold Coast because it’s the same ads and apart from local news, the same content as Brisbane gets for at least 22.5 hours a day.

As for NBN, I wonder if they still use that odd looking “Nine NBN” logo (the one temporarily used between March and June of 2016) for anything on screen except watermark additions in the Gold/Central Coast regions?

1 Like

Newcastle has for the past few weeks got that logo on the lineups. It accidentally slips through, it’s only meant for GC and CC.

But there are some corporate and charity events, in Newcastle and the Gold Coast, which are sponsored with the old NBN logo.

It’s just a mess and something Sydney really needs to step in to and fix. Having inconsistent branding hurts both NBN AND 9… it needs to be addressed immediately.

4 Likes

News only. The advertisements are still the same. And using the same LCN, the few places that can receive Brisbane and Gold Coast (which would also be limited by antenna direction) one of them would be stuck down on 350+ and go largely unnoticed.

1 Like

Looks like they were reading Media Spy. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

In that case, to that fellow MediaSpy reader, next replace the old 9NBN logo with the Nine logo. :slight_smile:

Actually, next would be to start slowly filtering Nine branding to NBN News: no coverups and a watermark that switches between “9 News” and “NBN News”.

3 Likes

Not sure how the watermark switching might work, but as a transitional thing for 6pm news, I would make everything “9 News” except

• Opener voiceover… “This is 9NBN News with…” but with the Nine News logo on the opener and with Cool Hand Luke music
  • Local reporters sign off with “9NBN News” and still use NBN microphones.
  • Ad break throw starts with “Coming up next on 9NBN News…”

@SydneyCityTV and I will never agree on that. CHL must be retired in favour of the 2014 NBN News Theme, IMO.

1 Like

I personally think that Nine should keep “the Cool Hand Luke signature” as their news theme, but an update is needed after nearly a decade of the current version IMO.

4 Likes

Can a remix of CHL and NBN News theme be possible?

Have the watermark switch similar to the afternoon news “9 News”/“9 at 4pm”/“9 Live”.

Agreed, keep the theme but it’s time for a refresh. As I’ve said previously, a remix between CHL and the NBN News theme would be interesting: fresh AND authoritative!

2 Likes

just get my dudes the chainsmokers to remix it. Makes younger viewers watch and updates the theme - kills 2 birds (and probably everyone who hates hearing banger after banger from them) lmao.

But I reckon it still holds up well after nearly ten years. I don’t think the '04 Mission aged poorly and it took them around 12 years to fully replace it (inb4 2014 theme etc etc).

Honestly the only way I can really think they could modernise it is by

• Using more ‘fuller’ sounds;
  • Replace the acoustic sounding drums to electronic drums;
  • Make the bass tab just a tad more visible; and
  • Changing up the instruments slightly (maybe adding some more strings?)

Honestly the best thing for updating CHL would be if nine assembled a team of a sound engineer, a classical composer and a modern day producer to get a nice balance between keeping tradition and modernising the theme.

4 Likes

It did. Not necessarily because it was outdated, but because it was used over and over again, and wasn’t a particularly strong theme IMO to begin with.

Networks should remix their themes at least every ten years IMO.

2 Likes

OT but let’s be honest, the best thing that Nine could do with its news is now revert back to NATIONAL Nine News… it’s never left Karl’s vernacular.

More authoritative
Gives a sense of being “everywhere” - especially now regionally where they have 3+ local reporters everywhere on the east coast.

And NBN should employ more journos - since Amanda Bennett, Georgie Smyth and the other few have left, I’ve only seen 1 replacement in Alex Heinke.

3 Likes

National Nine News was a good brand (I still like it) but Nine would be stupid to reintroduce it before the regional 9News bulletins are properly bedded in (they haven’t even started in Qld yet).

The new regional bulletins need to emphasise the local news aspect, as would a rebranded 9News on NBN, and “National Nine News” screams anything but local.

4 Likes

While I agree moving to pure 9News branding…
I was assuming the person who controls their social media pages isn’t high up enough to control the branding of their news, so while hopefully they could/should change the logo to match the on-air logo (on almost all programmes).

IMO, it’s highly unlikely that the National Nine News brand will be revived anytime soon especially when Nine News is now placing a stronger emphasis on local content (both in metropolitan and regional markets).

2 Likes

Here is this week’s nostalgic look at the early days of NBN.

It could always be used on the national bulletins.
National Nine Morning News
National Nine Early News