Nine (NBN)

yeah which means that NBN would simply become 9.

I don’t think they’d have a feed with NBN SD and then 9HD… that would just be daft.

I don’t think they’d have a feed with NBN SD and then 9HD… that would just be daft.

Kind of agree.

I think we may see the NBN brand just live on in idents

I see the Channel 9 brand being used for promos, on screen GFX etc

Perhaps the NBN brand will stay in the news too

“9NBN News” or “NBN9 News”

I think there will be some outcry in the Newcastle market - loss of a local icon - but in time it will fade.

I think the best way to transition from the NBN brand to the Nine brand would be a major promotional push. Launch a promo among these lines on a Sunday night at 7pm:

“For over 50 years, NBN has been Newcastle and the Hunter’s local TV station” …and in other markets: “For over 20 years, NBN has been broadcasting in the North West/Mid North Coast/Far North Coast/Applicable region.”

“In 2016, Australian Television’s 60th anniversary year…NBN becomes NBN Nine. You’ll still see all your favourite programs from the Nine Network and the only local news made in Northern NSW seven nights a week at 6pm, it’s just the name that has changed. Welcome Home to NBN Nine”

Obviously this would work considerably better in a video form than this rough script of mine, but I think you get the idea. Personally I’d keep such a combination of local and network brands for a couple of years and then slowly phase it out. There would probably be backlash, especially from the parochial Newcastle market if there was to be a straight cut from NBN to Nine.

1 Like

Yes spot on!!!

I can’t see the WIN name being kept if Nine buy them out.

2 Likes

Yeah who knows mabe 9 have already have agreed to a deal with WIN just waiting on the laws to change.

If they change that is…

I read they will put it to parliament next month so hopefully they get passed.

Kylie Blucher today confirmed to The Newcastle Herald that NBN News won’t be touched - it will still be an hour long mish-mash of news.

2 Likes

Good. NBN News is probably the one thing that shouldn’t be messed around with, indeed I personally think that the current format of NBN News could be a good model for other regional networks to adopt in the future.

2 Likes

I think it’s just a question of the branding, particularly with news… will it be “Nine NBN News”, just “Nine News” or remain as “NBN News”…

Personally, I hope they go with the first option for news, but much will depend on what happens to the overall branding of the SD channel when HD launches.

1 Like

I’m sure the Nine-ification has commenced already - we’ve had Here Come The Habibs promos with “Join Nine’s new family comedy” and now a full The Big Bang Theory promo complete with Nine logo instead of NBN.

2 Likes

Great news for Northern NSW football fans, new GM of NBN Kylie Blucher just confirmed to me on Twitter that 9HD will be running before the season commences, which is March 3 from memory. She said “staff working around the clock to be sure of it.”

Kylie Blucher ‏@kblooch 10m10 minutes ago
@markyinau we will be ready for season launch. Team working around the clock to be sure of it. K

Fantastic news and a fantastic new general manager.

2 Likes

Apparently, NBN have given their traditional 7.30pm (or thereabouts) Big Dog Kids Goodnight segment yet another update although some elements of the old one remain. Possibly an idea from NBN’s new GM?

Didn’t the new GM just start this week? Not sure revamping a 2 minute kids segment would have been high on the new GM’s to-do list.

3 Likes

I saw it on Wednesday night and it was the same as the past year or so.

1 Like

you’re overblowing it a bit - 30 seconds or sometimes if they’re in a rush it’s 15 seconds!

1 Like

so I just checked, they redid it on Thursday night and there’s a lot of people calling for the old “Big Dog holding an item” one to come back, as people used to guess what the dog was holding.

Obviously not much to do in NNSW at 7.30 at night for some people.

3 Likes

NBN will launch 9HD and 9Life on Tuesday March 1st at 6am. They have sent out guides to media

4 Likes

And according to the guide on the website it will be NBNHD. http://media.nbnnews.com.au/theguide/tvguide.php?signal_market=NBNHD_Central_Coast&schdate=2016-02-24#