Nine Entertainment Co

Um, what? No.
Lachlan Murdoch became a director of the company and opposed the acquisition of sports for a direct competitor to his pay TV channel.

THAT is why the successful One was dumped and THAT is why Ten lost the AFL.

10 Likes

Same here, BUT I had to do a rescan to get the LCN name updated to 9Gem HD Sydney.

1 Like

Can you please re-phrase this? I’m sure I’m reading it wrong. Sorry! I’m being genuine :slight_smile:

im in regional Victoria and dont have access to GEMHD, can someone tell me if the new channel is now available in all five captial cities?

I’m saying there’s a good chance this rumour has been blown out of proportion. 9Gem has upgraded to HD for sports purposes on channel 95. Is this the “new sports channel”?

5 Likes

Got cha :+1:

2 Likes

As far as I’m aware, the new 9GemHD on Channel 95 is available in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane/Gold Coast, Adelaide, Perth & Darwin.

From the word I’ve received elsewhere online, NBN in Northern NSW/Gold Coast is apparently yet to receive the channel even though they’re also Nine O&O stations (well, for just about anything not news/local programming related anyway).

5 Likes

In other WA towns like Mandurah and Pinjarra, they Mostly obtain the WDT9 signals. I was wondering whether Pinjarra And Mandurah get Both 9Gem in SD and HD given that these two towns are much further way from Perth?

Mandurah/Pinjarra has a TV translator, which retransmits both the Perth & Regional channels. In other words, they would get 9Gem in both SD & HD (likewise for 7mate).

1 Like

If it is, it will be a crime not to call it Wide World of Sports.
LCN name 9WWOS.

6 Likes

Another sports channel? Maybe Nine can do a better job running a sports channel then ten ever did.

I guess anything can be happen.

Nothing in Rockhampton but I assume that is because it is SCA9 …

Yep, no 9Gem HD on Nine Newcastle.

2 Likes

Seriously? 10 only screwed it up when Lachlan joined the company to destroy the free-to-air rival to his pay-TV empire.

5 Likes

Perhaps if Nine bid rights to afl on 2022 and share it with seven on a lucrative deal. Nine could telecast Saturday Arvo Andy saturday night as well as Anzac Day, Queens Birthday and finals footy.

Doubt any FTA network will ever again pull off what 10 did in the 2002 - 2006 rights agreement whereby they had exclusive rights to all finals games

3 Likes

To be fair ONE HD always rated very average. Only getting a boost from AFL simulcast and a couple of other magazine shows.

2 Likes

ONE was taking viewers off Fox, and was out rating them. So the Murdoch’s do what they do best, buy the competitor and kill them off.

2 Likes

And this saw 10 losibg afl rights and causing the network to lose more money in 2012 with poor ratings and revenue

1 Like

Exactly and because Ten’s ratings were never blockbuster, of course no one would be watching One HD. Otherise OneHD by Ten was dismal.

2 Likes