Nine Cricket Coverage

I would love to see Nine get Test cricket back and 10 for the BBL. It would be a perfect combo.

4 Likes

And we need a good ol’ Exclusive to go along with it instead of the horrendous simulcast deal.

2 Likes

Hope it’s true

They’ve said they can live with the simulcast if the price is right. If they get it for a hearing an basement price then Hugh Marks will go for it.

All of this show how bad this deal was to begin with. The former board and leadership butchered it by stubbornly including fox.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good plan.

3 Likes

If Nine get the cricket rights back, will they have to give up the tennis?

1 Like

Why would they have too?

1 Like

Mainly because I’m not sure if they’d be able to afford both.

4 Likes

Nope. These days the fifth test is over before the tennis starts. Would be really good strategy from nine. They’d pick it up cheap as it’s a simulcast deal.

4 Likes

Depends on how cheap it is.

2 Likes

Firstly, The SMH/Age’s claim that they’re “Independent. Always” becomes more laughable by the day with how they’ve been used this year to push Nine’s interests (or in this case, stir the pot).

Regarding the substance of the article, everyone who has commented already have touched upon the key bits. One thing though - not sure whether Marks is right about his claim that 10 are still interested in the Big Bash. If that was the case, you would think they would have taken up the opportunity Seven presented to them at the start of the year to re-acquire the BBL rights.

3 Likes

Would depend on the offer - how Seven would split the value of the BBL portion of their rights from the Internationals, etc.

1 Like

With everything going on with Seven, as I just posted in the Ten Sport thread, Nine could look to regain the rights most likely for Test matches but not eliminating BBL if Ten don’t wish to pursue this option. Assuming that Fox Cricket retain their rights (along with their commentators) Nine would be better placed for commentators/presenters than Channel 10.

One option that they could look to do is what they did for the Ashes and Women’s World Cup- hosting from a studio and taking the host feed or they could take their own coverage like what Seven did.

If they want to use Channel Nine talent in house, Bec Maddern, Jame Bracey, Clint Stanaway, and Alicia Muling all can host. Mark Taylor, Lisa Sthalekar, Ian Healy, Mel Jones, and Ian Chappell are all ‘still at Nine’ and can commentate. They could look to get Tom Moody back or even Michael Slater as he wouldn’t have a job at Seven anymore.

5 Likes

Be aware, if Nine are wanting to regain the Test Cricket Rights, they would be better off telecasting the Test cricket on the primary channel. The minor tennis tournaments would have to be shunted to multichannel, 9GEM. When Channel 7 had the cricket, they had the first few hours of the Test match on 7mate before switching to CHannel 7HD at 9am. Perth viewers had to put up with Sunrise back then. Seriously do Perth viewers care of Sunrise instead of cricket? When Nine previously had the cricket, CHannel 9 Perth scheduled Today Show at an earlier time (e.g. 3:30am/4:30am WA Time). Nine Perth managed to show the cricket on the primary channel in full, rather than channel switching. CHannel 9 know how to treat the scheduling well than Seven, because it is absolutely ridiculous!
My option is that Nine could do similar to the Ashes 2019 coverage where they host it from a Sydney/Melbourne studio and taking the Fox Cricket Feed. I think Clint Stanaway would host the coverage from Melbourne studios with Ian Healy, and Mark Taylor analysing the match.

4 Likes

Although Channel Nine might make their own coverage because some people could watch Channel Nine because they have better commentary than Foxtel, even though they have Foxtel, I have Foxtel and that is what I would do but if Nine had only studio then I would just flick back to fox during play so I don’t get ads.

3 Likes

This means Nine will be showing four Ashes tours in a row after 2013, 2015 and last year. No doubt England and Wales Cricket Board was buoyed by the ratings last year’s series attracted Down Under, and decided to grant another contract to Nine.

6 Likes

Last year’s Ashes in ENgland drew huge ratings on 9/GEM and bigger VPN numbers on 9Now. I am very happy to see the cricket back on Nine. I know Nine has a great history with cricket broadcast but when will Channel Nine regain the Summer of Cricket Rights when their tennis contract expires?

6 Likes

More like they were impressed with the dollar figure on the cheque from Nine.

13 Likes

I might think they’d go for both.

3 Likes

Maybe Nine can start 2 and half years earlier by airing the Dettol ODI and T20I Series’ and have Nine’s Commentators hosting the coverage and analysing the match in the Melbourne or Sydney Studios and only simulcast Fox Cricket’s actual coverage of Gameplay.

1 Like