Nine Cricket Coverage

Wonder where Mark Nicholas is these days, I suppose he has returned to the UK permanently.

1 Like

He’s working in the Sri Lanka v England test series in Sri Lanka currently.

4 Likes

Their scoreboard graphics are same as last year’s women’s World Cup tournament odi

Same host broadcaster!

3 Likes

And it’s the same graphics on FOX Cricket too.

Very interesting chat with Max Kruger who was WWOS’s cricket statistician for over 30 years.
Great insight into his time at Nine the peak of their coverage and thr low point, essentially the last contract given the cost involved and the current situation. Also touches on how terrible the commentary became in latter years.

2 Likes

Alicia Loxley, Mark Taylor and Molly Strano in the WWOS studio for today’s match between Australia and New Zealand.

6 Likes

Wow. Australia got home by 8 wickets over England in Sir Viv Richards Stadium, Antigua. The telecast finished at 2:22PM (EDT)

2 Likes

Should have been on the main channel and not on GEM but a great win by the females, showing the males how it’s done!

Unfortunately, Nine decided to prioritise the golf on primary channel so they Had to televise it in SD

And so what’s the excuse for the other games they aired? If they did what SBS have done then this wouldn’t be an issue. Well until they had 3 sports on almost simultaneously like they did today.

When Nine broadcasts the Ashes, will they have their own commentary team like they did in the 2015 Ashes. If so, this is what I was thinking for a commentary team.

Mark Nicholas
Ian Chappell
Bill Lawry
Michael Clarke
Tom Moody
Kevin Pieterson
Mark Taylor
David Lloyd
Simon O’Donnell

Happy to see otherwise but I doubt that would pass a cost benefit analysis.

Radical thought, though very unlikely, is there any remote chance Nine and Seven might do more deals?

As in Nine on-sell Ashes 2019 and Seven purchase it, making sense as the new FTA cricket home. While Seven could on-sell Wimbledon and Nine could purchase as the new FTA tennis home?

We’ve already seen such an extraordinary movmove happen, Seven on-selling this year’s Aus Open to Nine!

NB/ Obviously Seven would have to pay more money for Ashes than Nine for Wimbledon, but makes their ‘identity’ with their new sports streamlined and makes CA and TA relationships better with a sole FTA broadcasters.

I believe Channel Nine will take the BT Sport coverage during the 2019 Ashes series in England. Mark Taylor, Tim Gilbert and Michael Clarke will host from the WWOS studios in Sydney before taking the BT Sport Coverage in England. This was similar to the one that they have done in 2013 with Mark Taylor, Ian Healy, Tim Gilbert in Sydney studios before taking the worldwide coverage in England.

Bill Lawry has signed off cricket commentary last year.

Will it be broadcasted on Fox as well?

I believe Nine has the exclusive rights to the Ashes in England for this year

Correct.

The big question is what channel will Nine show The Ashes on?

Cue the outrage if it’s on 9Gem.

According to Radio Times website, Sky Sports still has the UK rights to the 2019 Ashes series.

3 Likes

Highly doubt they’d send anyone over. We’ll probably hear some Aussie voices (think Warnie, etc) via the home broadcast.